Major PH Spike!! 2 dead fish. HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joschac2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I am very sad to say that I came home yesterday and found one of my Angel fish dead.. I couldnt believe it! I have had my tank fully cycled and stocked with fish for months now and this is the first fish I lost.. This particular Angel has only been in my tank for two weeks. I was very concerned.. I proceeded to test my water and found all my levels were ok EXCEPT my PH. It has been holding steady at 7.4 since 8-24-11. It was at 8.8 yesterday. I Panic'd a bit and did a water change and it went down to 8. Now I freaking because I just lowered it by .8 and from what ive learned more than a .5 change in 24-48 hours is very hard on the fish....

aI get home today and found another fish dead. This fish has also only been in my tank for 2 weeks like the Angel. I tested my PH today and its back to 7.4. I am so confused/ concerned as to why My water's PH spiked like this. Please any advice or thoughts or questions about my setup is welcome..

Yes. I added a new decoration and 1 plant.

things have seem to level out and my PH is back to 7.4 and holding. Still not able to find the root cause of the spike.

I am wondering if I had something on my arm and when I put in the plant and decor it contaminated my water...

I dont think the plant or the decoration was the cause of the spike (esp a live plant). What does your water change schedule look like? Is there any chance of a contaminate getting into the tank (febreeze sprayed in the room, carpet powder, etc)?

my water changes are every two weeks. I test my water weekly and use the same bucket to transfer water. I would say no on the contamination factor but I guess it could happen. My tank is covered so it would be hard but not impossible.

I have never tested it until this incident. Its 8.2 at least the day I tested it was. I have city water so I would assume its consistant..
Which leads me to another question.. If im using water that is 8.2 how/why is my PH always 7.4.. hmmmmm

no driftwood...

43065-albums2781-picture18170.jpg

Sorry but you have a real mystery on your hands. Wish I knew more to help. Hope you figure it out.

me too.... i do apprieaciate the help... def seems odd.... and now things are back to normal.. very strange!!!

Im glad things are back to normal! That your tank is that much lower than your tap is a bit odd. Have you tried a 24hr test? Put some tap with an airstone/bubbler & let it sit for 24hrs then test the ph. Let us know what the results are! After it gasses out, it may be lower (or higher). The second thing i would really consider doing is start weekly or bi-weekly larger pwcs. This will keep your buffers established (they get used up during nitritfication) & hopefully prevent any dramatic ph swings in the future. I have city water as well (@8ph) but if i let my tanks go for more than a few days, the ph will start to climb. Water changes are the best thing you can do for your health of your fish & the stability of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom