Major trouble assembling sponge filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a biologically active sponge filter and I'm immensely confused. I called the company that makes them and he just repeated what the instructions that I couldn't figure out said. I put an airline tube through the lift tube and put the lift tube in the hole in the filter. It is bubbling and such but it's making weird noises and bubbling out of the lift tube so I have a feeling that something went wrong. Does anyone know how to assemble these?????ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434568822.737531.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434568842.832285.jpg

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras
10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

Looks fine to me, except your water level needs to be higher.

Jesse

It's low for breeding purposes. It's 15cm deep.

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

I could be wrong, but if you don't have water flowing out the tube, you're not getting suction of water through the sponge, not to mention no aeration/gas exchange.

Jesse

Water needs to be above lift tube for that filter to work properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can I cut the lift tube down?

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

No reason you couldn't cut it. Most store bought sponge filters I have seen have a telescoping tube. You'll have a "sweet spot" where the flow is the best. You're still gonna have to raise the water level

Jesse

Yeah, I'm going to raise it by probably 1.5 gallons and cutting the tube down a bit. Thanks!

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

Ideally the sponge need to be near to the bottom and the top of the tube submerged by at least one inch. The longer the tube the better the flow of water through the sponge so don't cut it too short. An air stone on the end of the air pipe, smaller than the diameter of the tube also helps lift by producing a stream of bubbles rather than individual bubbles.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom