make the wood sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muddlehead

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just found a cool peice of drift wood for my 10 gal that is going to work perfect, i recently boiled the whole thing for 2 hours to kill anything in or on it, but of course wood floats, once it gets water logged will it sink? i just planned on putting it in my tank with a rock on it for awhile until it would sink, or soaking it in a bucket outside until i get the plants i want for the setup that im looking to create, am i right? thanks

Soaking it MIGHT make it sink. Some wood will never sink. One of my neighbors had some would that never sank, so he used a stainless-steel screw to attach the top of a CD cover. He then burried the CD cover in the gravel. - worked great!

you can also use slate to anchor it down, just attach it with aquarium safe silicone. You can also hide the slate under gravel or any other substrate. If you have sand, it might not be heavy enough to keep the CD cover down.

yeah i didnt think of the slate, but i want it to look natural so i think i will try to make it sink first, then i will go with the slate, thanks

just cover the slate with whatever your substrate is and it will look natural b/c you won't see the slate

Back
Top Bottom