Making a Complete tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok heres the deal

My Tank
20 gallons
2 Bolivan Rams (both male unfortunatly)
3 Corys
3 Ghost Shrimp
Which adds up to a potential of 10" of fish (1" per 1 gallon)

Thus far I have all bottom dwellers, except the Ghost shrimp stay on top in the floating plants that I have.

I am looking for a fish (any combination) that is fairly hardy, stays towards the top (atleast off of the bottom), obviously attractive, clean fish, also I want a fish that is fairly active, one that wont cause stress to my Rams or Corys.

Another factor is that I have a powerhead airator that creates a fairly strong current

All in all what fish would be good additions that would both complete the tank but also blend in with the rest of the inhabitants.

I would suggest guppies as a pretty fish, perhaps hatchetfish. They can get to be 3" each though and like to be kept in groups.

Yes, I guess the fish that you have in mind (and just don't know yet) are guppies or maybe Endlers. Endlers are nearly extinct from the wild and can be obtained by some hobby breeders, who still keep their strains pure, since they can mix with guppies. They are smaller than guppies, come in all kinds of vibrant color variations, mainly swords :wink: . Or you could get guppies, the mixes from your lfs or some linebred ones with distinct color from a breeder local or online.

Angel fish will definately get too large! Dwarf cichlids vary in size but will still be too big for your tank IMO.

Hatchetfish or a dwarf gourami, maybe? I'm thinking of getting hatchet fish for some tank someday. Neat little guys.

How about danios or white clouds? They don't get too big and they love currents! My boyfriend has both and they usually swim in the middle section to the top of the tank in thier groups and play with the current.

what aboout some cherry barbs? they're really pretty, swim mid to top, and aren't too aggressive (IME). or 2-3 praecox rainbows--VERY pretty, they stay small, and are fairly active...

How resilient are: Black Ruby Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Hatchet fish, and Danios

Also are any of these fish diry.

Also I have room for aproximately 10" of fish, because I believe these are mostly all schooling fish

I saw some pics of the Koi Swordtails very pretty fish, very colorful. They are jumpers and the tank must be well covered. So far I have been unable to find any locally. But that is the next addition to my 29 gallon. There were some pictures and an article on them in Aquarium Fish, new December Issue. Page 62 starting.
caudelfin

Danios all the way!

There quality fish to have, very hardy! survived a mistake in adding the wrong dosage of treatment when gourami's and tiger barbs died.

Also they really show how happy they are with there striking colours!
My zebra danios are really really deep blue with silvery/yellow stripes.
My Leopards are really stunning in colour.

They all stay at the top and are pretty active. They dont just sit there like my black neons.

Barbs and Danios are very hardy. Hatchets are a little more delicate and they like to jump. I dont think any of them are very dirty.

I would say a Dwarf Gourami male. Fits all the parameters you describe. They are about a 2" fish. You can complement the Gourami with a school of Tetras.
A nice Powder or Electric Blue Dwarf Gourami male, and about 5 Cardinal tetras would give you some real nice color.

cherry barbs are pretty hardy--i have a bunch that are happily living in a 6g eclipse with a bunch of kuhli loaches and red ramshorn snails. and a lot of people use zebra danios for cycling a tank because they are extremely hardy (although fishless cycling is much more humane). don't know much about hatchet fish though. IMO cherry barbs are much prettier than danios, but red is my favorite color... :)

Back
Top Bottom