Making Brackish Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOc

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have started a 6G brackish tank. I love it. Three Bumblebee Gobys and a Celebese Halfbeak (colors became much better when I switched him over to the salty environs).

I am trying to make about 5 gallons of brackish water at once: about a 1.002-4 density. Then I do small PWCs with it over time. When I make it, however, it has a really low pH. Like 6.0. I use the dreaded pH Up at the moment, but know that it's not the best way. What should I do?

I'll add a picture when I can.

One more thing: I also add some Neutralizer. I like the idea of having high buffering capacity / high KH

zacusmaximus said:
Maybe buffer some with crushed coral in a stocking or something similar?

OK, are you saying I should put this "bag-o-buffer" in the initial mix only and remove it later or somehow incorporate it into the tank?

your using marine salt right? not regular aquarium salt?

how many TBL spoons marine salt do you use? 1 per 5 gal?

hc8719 said:

My question too. Marine salt should buffer your water to a proper pH. Unless your pH kit is bad.

hc8719 said:

Right

hc8719 said:
So far, I have not been measuring it. I have been pouring it in and mixing until I got the right density. I do it this way because my understanding is that an opened container of marine salt collects atmospheric water and volumetric/gravimetric measuring becomes inaccurate.

Like zacus suggested, try replacing your gravel with crushed coral like in SW tanks.

You also might look into adding the rift valley salts or buffer solutions for African Rift Valley cichlid tanks.

DocOc said:
hc8719 said:

Right

hc8719 said:
So far, I have not been measuring it. I have been pouring it in and mixing until I got the right density. I do it this way because my understanding is that an opened container of marine salt collects atmospheric water and volumetric/gravimetric measuring becomes inaccurate.

umm how are you measuring? hydrometer? why not just do the 1TBL per 5 gallons, its accurate and consistant, i dont thing it'd be good for the fish, with their water sality going up and down every pwc

[quote="hc8719umm how are you measuring? hydrometer? why not just do the 1TBL per 5 gallons, its accurate and consistant, i dont thing it'd be good for the fish, with their water sality going up and down every pwc[/quote]

What salinity does 1tbl/5g give you? I can try that for sure.
I am using a thermometer/hydrometer floating thingy. So, a hydrometer.

If you know otherwise, please say so, but I read that it is natural for brackish fish to experience changes in salinity with tides and seasons. My understanding is that such changes might actually be good for them if, of course, it is smallish and gradual.

I don't own a brackish tank, but when I mix my saltwater for my marine tank I don't measure either. I use rough measurements then fine tune it until the salinity is correct.

Doc, out of curiosity, what kind of salt are you using? Is it new? How is the consistency? Nice and soft, or is it hard (clumps, etc.)?

I just think it's weird that your pH isn't buffered already with the marine salt.

The salt is new, yes. I can't remember the name at the moment. It's a common brand you would find at PetCo. It has a little bit of condensation at the top when I open it, but other than that, it is nice and powdery.

I will check the water this evening to see if sitting out covered by a towel has mellowed the pH a bit. Maybe it had something to do with the airation I give it.

Back
Top Bottom