Making matanance easier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to be going out of town for about 5 months for job training. My aquariums will stay at my parents house until I get back and move out.

I would like to know if there are any suggestions that will help me make it easier for them to clean and maintain. I currently use special blend. It claims to reduce the need for water changes. Are their any other products I can get for them to use that will lighten the load on them while I am gone?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• image-163843560.jpg
    image-163843560.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 53
I find that a good water changer like a python is the best thing ever invented in order to help make water changes easier. I always have dubious feelings about products that state they make you require less tank maintenance. That being said I have never used them so don't really know.

I've used a few microbe lift products, and have concluded that they are about as useful as adding plain water.
If you can rig up a convenient water change system that your folks could use every week to do a 50% pwc, they wouldn't have to clean the filter so often, and the glass and ornament cleaning can wait till you get back.
The main thing is, stress that they must UNDER feed the fish while you are away (because they won't be able to resist giving a little extra, so this way they should end up giving the correct amount. Lol)

Just tell them to feed a TINY bit once a day, and change 50% of the water every two weeks. They shouldn't even have to touch the filters, just give them a good rinsing before you leave.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone two weeks without changing water before with no problems. I want to get a python and I will look that up and buy one if I have a chance before I leave.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Will the python work with just a regular water hose on the end? I don't have a faucet close to my room that will fit it.

Back
Top Bottom