Making my choice in fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I like dwarf gouramis for their color but I don't see many people listing them in their profiles. Are these guys pretty easy to keep? Any gouramis for that matter.

I wanted a salt water tank but not sure I can set that up right now, fresh is cheaper. I want colorful fish in my tank. any other suggestions? I don't want your standard, guppies, gold fish and so forth. I want something a little less generic.

So far I am thinking
4 drawf gouramis
1 leapord puffer
1 or 2 crab (forget the name)
a hand full of snails and other tank cleaners.

What do you think?
Thanks.

I am just starting to and want to make gouramis my main focus. I'm not sure about the puffer though, they are very aggressive and will more than likely give your snails and crabs a hard time.

I am debating now - I made a comment in another post about cichlids being boring, however it seems they are rather beautiful after seeing several of their other types online! Sheesh now what?!
8O

I'd leave out the puffer. In general, they are too aggressive to keep with other species of fish. That being said, I have never kept leopards, only GSP and dwarf puffers.

I have had dwarf gouramis before and loved them. I had them in a community tank with a variety of other fish and never had any problems.

Good luck with your tank :D

Yeah, from what i was reading they require almost as much care as SW tanks. That i'm not sure of, this is my first FW tank. I do have a SW tank and the up keep isn't really that expensive or hard. Just needs to be routine. So again i'm not sure with FW but from what i read shouldn't be to hard.

PS
don't bettas fight with eachother? "29 gallon bow front - nothing in it yet, thats why I am here Smile

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking to add a female or two bettas."

I wouldn't suggest getting 4 males. Some males can be quite territorial. Male dwarf gouramis are mainly what you will find though because the females have dull colors and don't sell too well. If you get the 4 males then just keep watch over them. Some can be quite aggressive while some will be completely peaceful.

I have kept a comunity tank,

I had one of those puffers - was a bad idea, tore the tails of most of my other fish to pieces, including my veil angel :(

, also I had 2 dwarf Gourami's - one was doing fine but the died for no apparant reason (couldn't have been bad water condition because all my other fish were fine) ???

Also Crabs are OK, so long as though are not having an internal filter, i assume you are not with a tank that size, my red crab was never seen due to the fact that it climbed to the top of my filter for a while until i took the filter out and found parts of the crab stuck to it, :(

Be carful with snails - they will multiply beyond control and ruin any live plants - unless you have the puffer in which case you will have NO snails!

Sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news!

Back
Top Bottom