Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Making water soft without staining water

Sorry for the long title, but I want to get fish that all need softer water when my tal is pretty hard.

I also do not have the funds to invest in RO.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A bag of peat moss in your filter. Should help buffer it down.

Caleb

Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so if the OP wants softer water would peat, leaves, driftwood all work but use carbon to take the color out or would carbon remove the tannins too? I just can't remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Co2 gas itself will lower PH and also soften the water to a degree. Carbon in a filter will remove both the colour and the tannins.

Why are you trying to soften the water? For the most part unless you are trying to breed most fish will appreciate constant water levels instead of chasing after their perfect ph.

Tbh only way to get a much softer water is to use RO water and constantly adding the same buffers.
With the other methods, like barley, it softens the tank. But as soon as you do a water change your introducing the harder water again creating fluctuations in KH and pH.

My opinion anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

A water softener is cheaper than an ro unit they are commonly installed in houses did you price them as well they use calcium chips if i remember correct

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

My bad they use salt or potassium chips to take out calcium and other hard minerals from the water

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of fish are we talking? Some fish really like the tannins in the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish you the best of luck. I too have super Hard, high pH tap water and nothing short of a RO/DI system worked. I did driftwood, peat moss and almond leaves. The first problem is that Hard water is super stable and the mildly acidic qualities of the prior mentioned remedies will have little to no impact. The second problem is that you will be renewing the calcium and mineral content of the tank water every time you do a water change. So what minor changes you might've made will start to revert back to its normal state.

Most commercially available hobby fish are able to adjust to various water conditions (though mine seem healthier and more active once I was able to better simulate native water conditions).

You could make the switch to fish that are better suited to the water you have available. African Cichlids come to mind first, but they aren't the only option.

You can save up for an RO system. Depending on how much water you need to prepare, you may need to invest in a container large enough to store the water in as well.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Agreed with everyone else here- the hardness of your water is likely fine as long as you aren't trying to breed. If the hardness is so high that it would be a problem for the fish you want, then stuff like driftwood or peat moss won't make much of a difference.

I tried with my wife's 29 gallon when she was living with her parents way up north in the state with well water. GH was in the 20 degree range, KH was around 10- african cichlid water. She wanted glass catfish but they're not tolerant of very hard water. Tried driftwood and peat moss and it did nothing, and eventually we just got different fish.

You don't have immediate funds for RO, but do you have a bit of spare money per month? It gets more expensive than RO over time, but you can buy distilled water by the gallon and mix it with an appropriate ratio of tap water to get the KH and GH you desire.

Tags
ate, soft, stain, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com