Making your own Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any thoughts, tips or tricks?? I found some wood that was cut ages ago, the bark has fallen off & it has turned grey. I plan to trim it, soak it & run it thru a few just water cycles. Are there any types of wood that are no good for Freshwater tanks?? I'm in Maine. I need to find out what kind of wood this is but I'm guessing Birch??

if you know that it is indeed a birch, then you can use it after you properly cure it. hardwood is what you want in the tank and softwood will slow deteriorate and/or leak toxin into the water

if you know that it is indeed a birch, then you can use it after you properly cure it. hardwood is what you want in the tank and softwood will slow deteriorate and/or leak toxin into the water

Good info! THANK YOU!!

it's probably better for you to go to a body of water and look for fallen wood. i have been through the same thing you're going to go through and the whole process takes about7-8months in my case and it's still ongoing. whereas another piece of partially submerged in water that i found took about 1month to sink.

this experience that i went through made me realize why the driftwood in the stores are so darn expensive. unless you're lucky to live near a body of water with a lot of fallen trees or are willing to go the extra many long/patient MILES, then you should consider buying DW.

I've been there and done that, just my two cents

it's probably better for you to go to a body of water and look for fallen wood. i have been through the same thing you're going to go through and the whole process takes about7-8months in my case and it's still ongoing. whereas another piece of partially submerged in water that i found took about 1month to sink.

this experience that i went through made me realize why the driftwood in the stores are so darn expensive. unless you're lucky to live near a body of water with a lot of fallen trees or are willing to go the extra many long/patient MILES, then you should consider buying DW.

I've been there and done that, just my two cents

We actually have an old beaver dam on the property! HA! But beavers seem to like wood that's better for a walking stick! There really isn't any wood in the lake, I looked! I suppose I could throw these pieces in the brook & check 'em out next spring!

Here's the brook:
image-1620252520.jpg

Here's the lake (private beach):
image-1296297277.jpg

Back
Top Bottom