Male and female betta in community aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it all can I keep a male and a female betta in a community aquarium with sailfish Molly black skirt tetra and bn plecos

They will likely kill each other. You could try one or the other, but not both. Sometimes females can be kept on a group, so you might get away with two females. From what I've read, keeping betta in a community tank is taking a bit of risk, so maybe have a back up plan if you find your betta is getting violent. :)

They will likely kill each other. You could try one or the other, but not both. Sometimes females can be kept on a group, so you might get away with two females. From what I've read, keeping betta in a community tank is taking a bit of risk, so maybe have a back up plan if you find your betta is getting violent. :)

I agree here. We have a little sorority of girls in a community tank with live bearers which has worked up to now but we always have to watch. Generally, males have to be alone or can sometimes be the only betta in a community tank. Even breeding bettas is a risky deal. There's always an exception to the rule and adding both may work in some instances but generally it's not a good idea. Just know going in it may not work even with just adding one betta with other fish. They each have their own personalities and some just will not mix happily with any other fish.

Two females will not work.You need at least 5 in a sorority to spread aggression.I have a male and a female betta,but that isn't reccomended.

Back
Top Bottom