Male and female fighters....! What else can live with them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claretmaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Who knows what other fish.could live in a 10gallon tank with 1 male and 3 female fighters...??

What else do you have in the tank? What's your tank size?

Its kind of stocked but you could possibly add some snails or shrimp, if they don't eat them!:)

fonze said:
What else do you have in the tank? What's your tank size?

I dont have anything else in the tank just the 4 fighters. Its a 10 gallon (40litres)

Maybe get some neon tetra or maybe some harlequin. Six of either should be ok but that would be about your lot in a 40 litre tank.

fonze said:
Maybe get some neon tetra or maybe some harlequin. Six of either should be ok but that would be about your lot in a 40 litre tank.

People advised me about getting neon tetra as the tank was too small and the fighters would try and nibble them. What are harlequins ??

Really you need small quick fish to go with fighters ones that don't fin nip the best ones for this are neon or harlequin as they are peaceful community fish 40 litre should be fine to have at most six of either but then you really are on your limit

IMHO I don't think you should add any more fish being that its just a 10G. Snails and shrimp maybe but since you already have the four fighters adding more fish could increase aggression issues due to lack of space. But that is just my opinion :)

Ahhhh now what to do ha.... Are the fighters shy fish... I know that sounds a bit of a random question...?

Claretmaz said:
Ahhhh now what to do ha.... Are the fighters shy fish... I know that sounds a bit of a random question...?

I think it all depends on the personality of the fish as to whether they are shy or not.
You could try some shrimp or maybe some snails
I believe that the otoclinus catfish doesn't get very large but that's where your research comes in, I cannot give accurate advice on them because I have never had personal experience with the fish.

I say if you are lucky and they get along, don't push your luck by adding any other fish. Male and female fighters (Bettas) don't really belong in the same tank. All makes should be kept separate and female in sororities of at least 5-6.

Mumma.of.two said:
I say if you are lucky and they get along, don't push your luck by adding any other fish. Male and female fighters (Bettas) don't really belong in the same tank. All makes should be kept separate and female in sororities of at least 5-6.

Ahh i got told to have 1 male to 2/3 female in the same tank thats why i did it :(

Claretmaz said:
Ahh i got told to have 1 male to 2/3 female in the same tank thats why i did it :(

Personally I wouldn't add anymore fish to the 10g. I would watch your bio load for a few weeks & make sure your filter can handle it. When I had 4 fish in a 10g there was a lot of waste. I had 2 female Bettas (fighting fish) & 2 CAE's in the 10g. I'm really surprised they told you to put the male with the females but if they're all getting along that's great.. I've thought about putting one of my males with the females but i don't want to chance it. Keep a VERY close eye on all of them because they will pick on each other, you need to make sure they aren't overly abusive.

shellieca said:
Personally I wouldn't add anymore fish to the 10g. I would watch your bio load for a few weeks & make sure your filter can handle it. When I had 4 fish in a 10g there was a lot of waste. I had 2 female Bettas (fighting fish) & 2 CAE's in the 10g. I'm really surprised they told you to put the male with the females but if they're all getting along that's great.. I've thought about putting one of my males with the females but i don't want to chance it. Keep a VERY close eye on all of them because they will pick on each other, you need to make sure they aren't overly abusive.

Ah ok brilliant. They all seem to be doing ok at the min. Can i jut ask do you no the best thing to feed fighting fish. And also whats the best way to remove excess flakes off the bottom. This is where i miss a bottom feeder :)

Gravel vacuum. Or you can stir it up so it's higher in the water column and the filter can get it. I'd love to know how it works out, mixing them together. As for feeding, it depends on if you want them to breed. If you do then frozen bloodworms, live food would be good. If not then just flake or pellet food. If you have a lot of uneaten food then you might be over feeding.

Just an additional thought: is your tank heavily decorated/planted? More hiding places mean less aggression.

Claretmaz said:
Ah ok brilliant. They all seem to be doing ok at the min. Can i jut ask do you no the best thing to feed fighting fish. And also whats the best way to remove excess flakes off the bottom. This is where i miss a bottom feeder :)

I feed nls betta pellets. But as with any fish a varied diet is best. You could supplement it occasionally with frozen foods like bloodworms and beef heart.
And the best way to clean up flakes on the bottom is to prevent them from being there in the first place. That food releases ammonia. I feed very little at a time, only adding more when it's gone so that none sits on the substrate to rot.

Great thanks. I have a few hiding places for them which they all seem to take up and come out for a swim. The females seem to hide more than the male. The male does a lot of lying around.

I think i will get another large tank and start a community. These guys can have the 10gallon to them selves.

Definitely watch how much you are feeding them. I feed mine pellets that don't sink & when I feed I drop the pellets one at time making sure each fish gets their fair share & it means no food wasted. Mine will keep eating as long as i keep dropping the pellets so i limit them to 4 each, i feed once a day with one day of fasting. Every time I do a water change I at least do a light vacuuming that will get the loose stuff off the top of the gravel, then do a heavier vacuuming once a week where I push the vacuum into the gravel getting the stuff that settles deeper into it.

Back
Top Bottom