Male Betta Companions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannWunderlich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What will go well with a male betta. He has lived alone his whole life but I would like to try and start a community tank.

Would it go well with 2 bigger goldfish?

No. Goldfish and bettas (or any tropical fish for that matter) have very different temp and dietary needs. The best best with a male betta are large snails or fast, small fish. Can you describe the tank? Size, filter, heater, how long set up, etc.

ya, I agree with you. I was just making sure.

It is a simple 10 gallon I set-up for my girlfriend, simple HOB filter/heater.

thanks.

Bettas will attack any fish with long flowing fins, & that includes goldfish. <That is in addition to the basic tank condition incompatibility between goldfish & betta, and the fact that a 10 gal is too small for 2 large goldfish, even on their own.>

Most bettas do best on their own. If you get any fish have a back up plan to get them out or the betta out.

bettas are one of those fish you really dont know until you try things out. cories might be fine some times shrimp will be fine maybe some small schooling fish but everything is maybes. no way to know for sure until you try.

Back
Top Bottom