Male betta in Community fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettas generally dont make good fish for community tanks. Be prepared to rehome if necessary.

I agree with toolman and Delapool. Betta's do much better in a calm, stress free environment...not to mention that an appropriately kept community tank should have plenty of water movement, which betta's do not like.

I agree with toolman and Delapool. Betta's do much better in a calm, stress free environment...not to mention that an appropriately kept community tank should have plenty of water movement, which betta's do not like.

Thank you so so very much with you advice

Depends! What size tank? And what's in it? It depends on the Betta and the other fish, size of tank and decorations, plants. As long as the Betta has play room they are fine.and no fish nipping at them. Alot of people over rate a Betta as the "FIGHTING FISH" I just did this as a experiment. I have a Betta "young one" in a 10 gallon. Brought home 4 endler guppies, and 2 Otto's catfish. I was told if you take the Betta out, rearrange the tank. Put other fish in it then Betta usually things work out. So I did that. Even changed the color gravel. Added a few things. And it works. I picked small fish cause I have a small tank. I want my Betta to still beable to play. Soon I will be getting a 15- 20 gallon and add a female Betta to everything. Maybe even 2 females. So, it really depends on everything you got going on in the tank already.IMAG2207.jpg a pic just to prove my point.

I had a betta in my planted 40g peaceful community tank for over a month. No issues with aggression at all. The problem was, as I mentioned, the flow was too much and he had a difficult time getting around. Also, he had a hard time competing for food with all the faster swimming fish. It eventually took its toll, and he looked a bit haggard after a while. I placed him back in the 5 gallon planted tank and he recovered beautifully. It can be done, just probably shouldn’t IMO.

Before I went saltwater I had a community tank with a betta .
he did just fine just have lots of cover for him live or fake plants rock cave ect
and always add betta last to lessen aggression

I had a betta in my planted 40g peaceful community tank for over a month. No issues with aggression at all. The problem was, as I mentioned, the flow was too much and he had a difficult time getting around. Also, he had a hard time competing for food with all the faster swimming fish. It eventually took its toll, and he looked a bit haggard after a while. I placed him back in the 5 gallon planted tank and he recovered beautifully. It can be done, just probably shouldn’t IMO.
I wouldn't go to big on another tank. I just think a 15-20 gallon would give 2 Betta's the room and space they need. The only other fish in the new tank would be the little guys I just got. I won't do a high powered filter for them, they can't handle that.

Not trying to disuade the op, just know the forums are full of threads for and against bettas on community tanks.
Want op to be aware of possibilities, so they can take appropriate measures if necessary.

About Betta you won't get a definite answer. Some bettas are good and some are bad. You have to find it yourself by trial and error. Don't put small fish with betta or betta will chase and try to eat and never put betta with aggressive fish like cichlids or other fin nippers like tiger Barbs or betta will be target. Put betta with peaceful fish and observe. If it work out then all good but do have a back up plan.

Respectfully, it really depends on tank conditions.

I’m sure it’s a major contributing factor. But some Betta’s no matter how perfect the tank conditions are overly aggressive and will kill tank mates.

I've had my male Dragonscale in with three loaches and five neons for almost a year with no problems. 15gallon tank with DW and plants. It can happen you just need to be aware of what you're adding and keep close watch for a while.

I've had my male Dragonscale in with three loaches and five neons for almost a year with no problems. 15gallon tank with DW and plants. It can happen you just need to be aware of what you're adding and keep close watch for a while.
I totally agree! I got a question for you, Would you ever try putting a female with your male in your 15 gallon? Some say you can. Others say you shouldn't. I just wounder how these fish survive in natural habitat without becoming extinct from killing off each other. I know it's a much bigger world to them but, they gotta cross paths sometimes. I'm just curious if you would. I'm still not sure about it yet.

I totally agree! I got a question for you, Would you ever try putting a female with your male in your 15 gallon? Some say you can. Others say you shouldn't. I just wounder how these fish survive in natural habitat without becoming extinct from killing off each other. I know it's a much bigger world to them but, they gotta cross paths sometimes. I'm just curious if you would. I'm still not sure about it yet.

I would say nothing smaller than a 15, personally i'd use a 20L if I was gonna try. Try being the key word, with bettas always have a plan b.

Back
Top Bottom