male betta with goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caged sparrow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just bought a 10 gallon tank. i bought a 2" fantail, a small gold fantail, and eight common goldfish(all dying or dead don't know why). i have a filter system for it.. but anyway i was wondering if a female betta could go in the same tank or will i need a separate one or a bigger one.or can she go in the 2 gallon tank with my male betta. in the tank i also have my origanol(sorry bad speller) black moor and calico fantail.
thanx

I have bettas, but not in a community tank. Some male bettas may do well in a community tank, and some may not. It depends on the betta and the other fish in the tank. But since you are having trouble with this betta and the black moor, I would remove the betta. Leaving them together to get used to each other is silly, since they are fighting. So, I would put the betta in his own tank. If he is aggressive toward the other fish, he would probably be happier and better off alone.

No, you definitely need to get the betta out of there asap. Some stores make me so mad! :x They gave you completely bogus information. Bettas are tropical fish that WILL attack other fish with fancy fins and tails, such as your goldfish. Goldfish are cold water fish, and they should not be housed with tropical fish to begin with.

My suggestion is to get at least a 1 gal. bowl or tank, and move the betta into there. He doesn't need a filter, and you may not even want to add gravel, since that would make the bowl a lot easier to keep clean. (It's really hard to vaccuum gravel in a tiny tank like that, so what I do with my betta is weekly full water changes: put him in another container, clean out his bowl, make sure the temperature matches his old water or get him adjusted to the new temp. then add him back. I have no gravel in the bowl, just a weighted plant.)

Of course, if you can afford a bigger tank for your betta, that's better. Just be sure if you get a filtered tank that you are able to adjust the filter flow, because bettas HATE current. A 1 gal. tank without a filter won't cost much, though, and keep it in a warm spot in your house.

But again, you definitely need to get him out of the tank with the gold fish. He could very well kill it, and even if he doesn't, all that stress will definitely make your fish sick.

Good luck.

I've had male bettas for years. I tried putting them in with a few different kinds of fish, but it never worked out no matter how much plants/hiding places I had for the others. I have bully bettas! :)

THANKYOU FOR YOUR REPLYS AND I HAVE REMOVED MY BETTA INTO A 2 GAL. TANK WITH NO GRAVEL . THE MOOR SEEMS ALOT HAPPIER ALONG WITH THE BETTA. ALTHOUGH PART OF MY BLACK MOORS TAIL IS NOW SPLIT IN HALF. BUT SEEMS TO HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING AROUND. WHEN I GO TO BUY MY OTHER FISH I PALN ON GETTING IL REMBER NOT TO GO BACK TO THAT STORE. THANKYOU ALL AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

will ghost shrimp go good with a male beta. Or is their anything that anyone recomends putting in with the beta. Its a 5.5 gallon tank.

My male is quite content with being tank buddies with a shoal of Albino Cory Cats and a fiddler crab.

Altho he has not eaten recently [ theres another thread about this, don't post here about it please ] I think it may just be the shock of a new home..

I have my male betta in a 10 gal. with 3 cory cats and 3 neon tetras. He gets a little nasty when any of the fish float to the top of the tank, but all he does is posture. I've never seen him bite or attack the other fish. I also have another male betta in a 20 gal. long tank with 7 cory cats, 6 neons, 2 gouramis, a pleco, & 3 otos. He does just fine and seems happy. I guess it depends on the betta.

Back
Top Bottom