Male danio shepherding the females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amartha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, all!

I currently have a 5 gallon tank with four GloFish. By the look of them, I'm reasonably certain I have one male and three females. Two of the females I just bought recently; for a long time it was just one male and one female.

The male, back when it was just the two of them, constantly kept the female in the corner. He'd chase her all the time and it was kind of upsetting. I thought maybe more females would help. It... didn't. Now they're all in the corner. One of them is kinda feisty and swims after the male from time to time, but for the most part they just kinda sit there. There's no nipping going on and they get along beautifully during feeding time, but for the rest of the day they just fall into this sheep/shepherd kind of pattern. They're all about the same size, too--if anything, the male is a little smaller than a couple of my females.

I've read that for zebra danios, this is basically normal behavior. Nonetheless, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for putting my male in his place? Would another male help or hurt? Would more females do anything about it? More fish in general? I had planned to get two more danios, to have all the GloFish colors plus an ordinary one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Amartha

It could be the tank size. Glofish and zebra danios need a bigger tank than 5g. In my opinion, they aren't even suited for a 10g. I would not add any more fish. You might want to consider a bigger tank. I would definitely watch for jumpers in a tank this small.

Back
Top Bottom