Male gourami bully!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie443

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! Have a pair of pearl gourami's. recently the male has been endlessly harassing the female and constantly nipping her. She hides from him and seems sad. What can I do to stop this behaviour. Will another female help? I have a 180 lite tank.

Help! Have a pair of pearl gourami's. recently the male has been endlessly harassing the female and constantly nipping her. She hides from him and seems sad. What can I do to stop this behaviour. Will another female help? I have a 180 lite tank.

Are you positive that the gourami is female? Gouramis are notoriously intolerant of any other type of gourami, and will harass the other to death in most cases(know from experience, unfortunately.) Even if the fish IS female there is no guarantee they will pair.

I had a really mean one and he killed one female and tried to kill one of my others. You could try several females, some times just mean. He could be put into a tank with some semi-aggressive fish. Sent my mean one to live with Giant Danios a shy Pacu and a blue Gourami. Didn't cause any more trouble.

My other male is just as gentle and sweet as can be. One of my favorites! I would separate them, add to a different tank, return it to the store or rehome to someone with not too mean, but not little tetra fish. My other was just too mean, wasn't even ok in tank with other peaceful fish, by himself, no other bigger fish and nipped at fish.

Back
Top Bottom