Male Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ivy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking about adding two powder blue dwarf gouramis to my tank. Since most places don't sell females, what are your thoughts on two powder blue dwarf males in a well planted 20g?

Same as in your other thread... it will depend on the individual fish. I've heard of people with more than 2 gouramis in a tank and they are fine. Others had to get rid of one due to bullying/aggression. If they do become aggressive you can try providing more cover or by breaking up the line of sight in the tank. This basically means adding plants to split the tank in half, allowing each fish to claim his own territory.

i have two gold gourami's, one male one female. the male seems to really bully the female. i am in the process of getting another female. i would def recommend an odd number of gourami's

I currently have one male gourami in the tank, and he seems to be only a little bit territorial. My pandas bowl him over when he gets too pushy so I don't think he will get out of control. Will he be okay alone or should I consider a female? I would rather not add another if he can be happy as a single. He spends most of his day playing in the bubble wall at the bank of the tank. :D

I had a Dwarf Gourami (male) and he did fine by himself in my 10g until I didn't QT some Red-Eye Tetras and almost wiped out my whole tank. Never had any problems with him nipping or bullying. He was in a tank with some fancy guppies, cories, zebra danios and diamond tetras.

My gouramis dont fight, well didnt, still dont with other fish but my powder blue dwarf has been flushed, they NEVER fought and it was a pretty plain tank. half was planted( fakes, deathco gave me snails and thats a whole nother nightmare in itself, talk about it later still have unanswered ?'s on it) and half sand/structure/rockbed to replicate a creekbed and feeding ground.
the survivor is a dwarf flame gourami and he hangs out with the two new angels now, totally different behavior from when the other gourami was in there and now.

How can you tell male from female?

the male gourami has a long fan type back/dorsil/spine fin. the female's fin is more stubby and plain. why did you flush your blue dwarf?.

Back
Top Bottom