male guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible to keep only male guppies in a 10 gallon planted tank or will they nip at each other. Also would to be possible to keep a small schooling type fish with the guppies.

They may nip at each other, but they tend to be less aggressive than other male liverbearers from my personal experience. How many male Guppies were you thinking and what kind of fish for the school?

You might be kind of crowded with that many Guppies and a school of fish unless you're looking at nano fish. Neons are generally what people would recommend for a 10 gallon school, but with that many Guppies you might be pushing it on the stock.

I'm certainly not an expert but guppies are about the smallest fish that you can keep, the males certainly don't get bigger then tetras so i'm pretty sure you'd be fine with a "school" like that.

As far as agression, my guppies chase each other around and flash at each other, but they don't really posses either the mouth, or the attitude to do any serious damage. The only problem i've ever heard about from any live bearer is exahustion, or tormenting a single female, but like i said i'm not an expert by any means.

Guppies don't need teeth like other fish to do damage. They can tear fins completely down to a stub. I've seen it first hand with one Guppy that had major "big fish syndrome."

Back
Top Bottom