Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Male guppies vs platys

My male guppies will not leave my male and female red wag platys alone! They keep nibbling at their fins. What do I need to do. I don't want to lose any of them but I'm afraid my platys will get stressed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404349677.814234.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	242007

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavenReece View Post
My male guppies will not leave my male and female red wag platys alone! They keep nibbling at their fins. What do I need to do. I don't want to lose any of them but I'm afraid my platys will get stressed.

I had to give all my male guppies away. They were doing the same to my mollies and platys .. The mollies were really stressing so fortunately my friend wanted male guppies . Sad because i had bred them and they were stunning, but my other fish are soooo happy now

Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How big is the tank? Maybe they just need more room?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's a 20 gallon tank, one was doing it so I took him back n they all stopped. Then within 5 days they just started back doing it. I think I may exchange them for females but I hate ill have to take them back they r beautiful

Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That does stink
Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Male guppies can be a real PITA, as you are finding out! They are beautiful, but when they decide to be pesky, it seems nothing will stop them. I had just male guppies and nothing else in my 20 gallon at one time, and they were bugging each other. I took out the main culprit, but the same thing happened to me as what happened to you--the remaining guppies then started bugging each other, and it seemed like one would always get the worst of the bullying. Endlers are much the same way, although not quite as persistent. I have to keep my black bar and tiger endlers apart, or the black bars will bug the tigers to no end, since there are no females in that tank. I guess they think the tigers are females. Male guppies will go for just about anything female, be it a molly, platy, swordtail, or other similar size fish. I've never seen them go after larger fish though. You might try keep only one male guppy and a Honey gourami, since both would do alright in a 20 gallon. NOT a full size gourami. Honeys are smaller--no more than 2 inches when grown. Honeys are usually very mild in nature, unlike most other gouramis, and I've yet to see a male guppy bug one. Don't get more than one though, as honeys will often fight--and a 20 gallon will make them more prone to do so. Male guppies also don't bother rams, but make sure you only have one ram if you go that route, as more than one will either mean them breeding, and ending up killing the guppy, or they'll fight. Rams are also very sensitive, and not the easiest fish to keep. You might try a few male endlers with your guppy as well, but there is no guarantee that one or two won't be picked on. I guess it depends more or less on the personality of the guppy. Some are a lot more mild than others. What is the temp of your tank? Warmer temps will make guppies more active, and therefore, more likely to bug each other. I have my tank set right at 80F because of my ram, and my endlers are super active. Endlers are charming, but a lot of people complain that their LFS don't carry them. You might have to order online.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wow i never had this kind of problems with guppies i've had a 15 gallon tank with guppies mollies platies and swordtails etc and the only problem i ever had was a pesky male mollie but never seem that behavior with guppies
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had 4 male yellow guppies and 6 red wag platies (3 male, 3 female) in my 75g tank for over a month and the guppies have been the most peaceful and good tempered fish I have. No issues from them at all and they mostly keep to themselves and school together.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I took my two aggressive Male guppies back and introduced two female guppies to the tank and so far so good! It must have been the males wanting to chase my female red wag platy

Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good move! Yes, the female guppies should be fine--I've never seen a female guppy give ANY fish a bad time! Good luck.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Female guppies are just happy no one is chasing them,by he girls don't want to draw attention to themselves.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I bet they're happy! I wouldn't want a group of guys chasing me around all the time either!

Tags
guppie, guppies, male, platy, platys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com