Male Guppy attacking Female Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EJHLaura

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 3 gallon tank with a female molly and a male guppy. I have noticed over the past few months the male has gotten more aggressive towards the female. For instance, if the molly goes to eat, the male will chase her or "bump" her on the side and she will retreat to her now usual spot behind the filter. She used to swim around and didnt seem bothered by the male, but over the past few days she sits towards the bottom under the filter or behind the filter (in between the filter and wall) or at the top where the water comes out of the filter. The male is acting normally other than going after the female when she decides to come out.

I separated them a few weeks ago thinking that would help, but they both just seemed depressed and both werent swimming around normally, so I put them back together after a few days and seemed a little happier.

Is this normal for a male guppy and female molly? Im not sure if shes pregnant, she does look little rounder than a few months ago, but its been a long time since ive noticed, hasn't gotten bigger or smaller, and hasnt popped.

Is she just really stressed out now even though theyve been together since May? What do i do now? The tank is too small to really add another fish to distract the male.

(We are probably going to get a bigger tank in the next few months once we move to our new house, so getting a bigger tank now is not an option.)

The tank is way too small for a guppy and a molly. Mollies and guppies are related and can cross breed.

No wonder they are attacking each other in a tank that small- the Molly needs a 20 long

Back
Top Bottom