male or female angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everyone, I recently bought two angel fish (I think they are gold angels) anyway they are lovely and are a delicate edition to the tank. I was wondering whether they were male or female, I don't particularly want to breed them. The first is silver and has brown marks up its dorsal fin, the second is completely white apart from a small yellow mark on its face.

here is the first one.
IMG_2031.jpg

here is the second one
IMG_2034.jpg

I also bought a female high fin platy to build up my female platies in the tank. she is quite round and certainly larger than the males. Also she has a dark mark by her tail (gravid spot?) I fed her quite a bit when she was put in the tank so it might be that, but is she pregnant? I have males in the tank and want to breed them, also I have all the equipment for fry.
IMG_2051.jpg
she is the larger plain orange one.

your angels are called orange pearlscales. the second one looks like its parents were a orange pearlscale and a white. its very hard to tell for sure about m-f untill its breeding time witch is 8 mts to a year. some close hints are the male sometimes has a hump on its forehead and the female is strait and smooth. the females tend to be fatter than the males. theres other sings to look for but u will know for sure when they mature. andy will see this post and write u a better explanation on it . good luck with your angels

Just curious Bob but where are you seeing the indication of them being Pearlscale? I see no sign of it on them.

yes I've looked at pictures online and they definitely are pearlscales, although the second one looks like it has lost some of its scales. you can't see in the pics but they are very shiny.

I have adult pearl scales and they aren't smooth scaled. They have a raised or textured scaling that gives the pearl effect. Look at the PS Platinum in this picture and see what I mean about the texture of the scales. Your fish have smooth shiny scales not at all textured like a PS. Now PS's do take longer to develop the PS but right now I see no signs of them being PS and I've been keeping angels for 30+ years.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g inhabitants - Picture

my apologies if im wrong but my young one that i breed dont have there pearl scale till they reach an older age. at a young age they look slick

Back
Top Bottom