male or female betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The easy answer is that females tend to be better in a community tank- partially because their fins are shorter and don't attract the attention from fin kippers like a male Betta does.

The hard answer is that it totally depends on the Betta! I have had both male and female bettas in community tanks successfully. You just have to choose their tankmates wisely. Don't have a fish that likes cooler temps or high flow, etc. There are lots of fish that do quite well with bettas if everyone has enough space. But always have a back up tank ready for your Betta if things go south, cause it can happen fast.

I have a male with some cories. Female with tetras and danios. Females with male guppies. Females with shrimp (and some that ate the shrimp). I have also had females with otos, female guppies... And even a male with male lyretail guppies with no problems. Just go slow, do your research and ask for specifics here. Someone will have tried a Betta with just about everything and will have a story to tell you!

Personally, I LOVE bettas in community tanks!

i am starting a betta only (8g) tank, (its already set up) but will add a betta in a few days when i get back from out of state for my grandmas funeral. I would LOVE to add a female betta to my community tank i have some temperamental pearl gouramis, and my tank has some decent water movement, so im afraid it would be to much for a betta

but my sister rehomed her 4 common goldfish and common pleco today, so she now has an empty, lightly planted 55g tank. my mom wants to make it a moderately planted tank. and i was trying to think of fish for her. and i was thinking that i could talk her into making a tank around a betta and plecos (with supplementary food)

can you have multiple female bettas in a community tank?

Oh ho ho, that is quite the question! Do a search for the "Betta sorority" thread! So many of us want them and have attempted them but it is very tricky business! But in a 55 gallon that is moderately planted... Maybe...

Back
Top Bottom