Male or female guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have 4 guppies in a 29 with some other fish. I noticed just a small amount of fin nips on only the guppies. I don't think it was any of the other fish as I never see any of my other fish chase or even put a second thought into the other fish.

Is it possible I have accidentally got a female guppy? And the males are picking on each other? I can't tell if it's female or not as I thought it was a male. Picture.. Sorry it's blurry wouldn't stop moving. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419793207.484242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see a female on the left and a male on the right. I also see the potential problem. You have what looks to me like a black skirt tetra. They are fin nippers and get aggressive with other fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If that is a female it means I have 3 males and 1 female.

That fish isn't mine, I agreed to house it temporarily. But in the time it has been here I've never seen it act aggressive to any fish.

Well that's no big deal, as I said its temporary. I could move it to my 46 with tiger barbs. But they're probably too aggressive for it aren't they?

Otherwise my friend should be able to take it back in a couple days.

It is best to have more females than males in the guppy world. Too many males can exhaust too few females. Generally speaking I usually do a 2:1 female to male. I have friends that prefer 3:1.
When I get lots of babies I feed them to my larger fish tank or betta bowls while making sure I keep more females than males.
The best way to tell the difference is by looking at their anal fins. Females have feathered anal fins, shaped like what you normally see as anal fins. Males have modified fins that are pointier and not feathered and look harder. See pic below.
Females tend to have deeper bodies as well.
guppy-anatomy.jpg

Ah wow, that's the information I needed to see! Perfect, and it appears I do in fact have a female in the mix. Well I'll be sure to get her some female tank mates to help ward off the male attention a bit.

Back
Top Bottom