Male or female platty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me if this is a male or female platty and how many more can I put with it, female or male.?

Attachments

• image-3466813352.jpg
    image-3466813352.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 106
Its hard to tell in the picture but a male has an extension on the end of the anal fin called the gonopodium. If you can get a side profile picture I can tell you for sure. As far as how many you can have, how big is your tank and what other occupants if any are in with it?

I have a 37 gal. I have a dwarf gourami, blue gourami, male Dalmatian Molly, male cremesicle Molly, 3 tetras, Cory cat, and that Platty.

You have plenty of room for more platys. You can have multiple females but I would only have 1 male. No breeding compition.

Long finned red minor tetras. I figured I have plenty of room but I just gotta figured out the gender of this one, if its a female can I add 2 or 3 more females with it?

I have a 37 gal. I have a dwarf gourami, blue gourami, male Dalmatian Molly, male cremesicle Molly, 3 tetras, Cory cat, and that Platty.

Also you need to get your schools up first before you get more platy. Depending on what type of Cory and tetras you have I would do this
2 more tetras
3 more cories
And if you have good filtration 2 more platies

Either or you could just have 1 female and 1 male if you wanted. All your doing by having 1 male to 1 or more females is limiting aggressiveness in reguards to compitition to breed

I noticed that having 2 filters is a good idea. I have a marine land aquarium with the filter and bio wheel built into the hood. Do I need another filter and if so what kind and how big should I get?

I noticed that having 2 filters is a good idea. I have a marine land aquarium with the filter and bio wheel built into the hood. Do I need another filter and if so what kind and how big should I get?

Get the biggest that you can afford and that will fit on your tank

Is it an Eclipse aquarium? If it is you shouldnt need another filter as they were designed with the appropriate size filter. A good rule of thumb is get a filter that will filter atleast double the tank capacity. Also if you have a heavily stocked tank or if you find the one filter isnt doing the job then certainly add another filter if your able to

Yea it's an eclipse filter system, is it designed to filter double my tank size (37g). I'm just curious I it's better to add another

Rule of thumb i believe is roughly 2" of fish per gallon. You can add another power filter if you want to but i dont think its necessary at this point.

Thanks for the advice. I just got a test kit and I'm testing everything now. Do you recommend any of the chems that API suggests?

Back
Top Bottom