Male Platy Characteristic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Absinthena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.
For some reason I have recently started to notice the male platys constantly tailing the female platys. My ratios are off (more males than females) because some had kids and most were male. I feel very sad for these girls but I don't really know what to do.

Also, all the males in my tank clamp their fins in when just hanging out. The females are large and display their fins in all their glory. I was wondering why the guys are brighter but keep all their 200 parts folded in. I used to think some of the guys were sick because their fins are clamped but now I see it just looks like a characteristic among males.

Any interesting information would be great - Either on why the guys are doing this or what I should do about having the girls followed all the freakin' time!

Anne

Either pick up more females or get rid of some males, having more males than females is very stressful on the fish and could lead to disease.

Your male Platy is probably stressed for some reason or other. My male Platy's fins are the same as the females, not clamped. I have 1 male and 3 females, so I guess he's pretty happy in that respect.

I'm sure your lfs wont mind taking them off your hands.
Looking at your profile, I see your 10g is quite overstocked, maybe you can move some of the males to your 30g.

My boyfriend has a tank (20g) I set up with 3 Serpae Tetras, 1 Cory Cat and 2 Otos. But it is not a planted tank. It sits in a window though so it grows its fair amount of algae (that the Otos eat). Could I move some of the guys in there? Would they get along with the Tetras? Will they be upset that I've moved them? :| They seem to love weaving throughout the plants!

And OOooo my profile is NOT updated at all.
I have fixed it now though. Just some minor changes but important ones to me!

Back
Top Bottom