Male Swordtail as centerpiece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Akeath

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m interested in maybe getting a male Swordtail sometime in the future, but I have a few questions about them. I’d want to avoid the territorial aggression I would get from keeping multiple male Swordtails together. I’m also concerned about fry overstocking the tank. Are male Swordtails still social enough that they would do best kept with a group of females? Or would a male Swordtail be content being the only Swordtail in the tank as a centerpiece fish?

How big is the tank and what other fish were you considering?

It's a 40 gallon breeder, the pH is 7.4, 11 dGH, 75 degrees F ( 23.8 C) and has been cycled for a couple years. There are two adjustable filters and water changes once a week.

I already have 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Honey Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 7 Corycats, and 5 Amano Shrimp. Plus I have quite a few Mystery Snails, but most are starting to get elderly and I'll wait to get the Swordtail till all but 2-3 Mystery Snails had passed of old age (they only live around a year and a half). I'm also considering adding a shoal of Cherry Barbs someday.

Back
Top Bottom