Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Malfunctioning Heater

I have a 150 Watt Marineland Precision Heater in my tank that seems to no longer be regulating itself. It continuously heats regardless of the water temperature and my tank has become excessively warm.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Are there any ways to fix the heater or should I just get a new one? If I do get a new one, does anyone have any recommendations?

My tank is 36 gallons.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know of no way to fix a heater, and I would not mess with trying to do that. It is too dangerous for the health of the fish.

I was just about to make a venting post about the quality of aquarium heaters. I've noticed a major decline in quality over the past 20 years. I recently bought two new heaters rated for my tank sizes. No, they weren't the most expensive type, but they both have good reviews and aren't bottom of the barrel, either. One turned out to be completely inadequate for the size of the tank despite being rated for that tank size. It won't even heat the tank up to a standard temperature. The other has wild fluctuations in temperature--either goes off when it shouldn't or stays on when it shouldn't. I am thoroughly disgusted with both. The next time I buy a heater, I am going to do a lot of research to make sure I get one with superlative reviews and a warranty.

fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes I have experienced that problem. The heater is broken. You can’t fix it. Buy a new heater
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I but the aqueon brand heaters off Amazon. They are only $10-20 and I keep some extras and replace them every year or so.

Tags
ate, eat, eater, heat, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com