Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Malkore's 75gallon journey - updated 5/3/2006

First off, let me preface my 'log' by saying that I'm one of those people that knows a whole lot about planted tanks, but am also lazy. I don't always practice what I preach.

Thus, in my 75gallon log, you'll see various times where the tank looks terrible, and other times where it looks amazing. One plant to keep an eye on is the java fern that's wedged in near the tip of the big driftwood.

Here's the tank when I set it up back in late December of 2003

Here we have it just 3 months later, last week of March 2004

Pretty dense plant growth, never had a serious algae bloom either, just nuisance stuff here and there.

Now we'll jump clear to January 2005, and my 'jungle' phase

I need to take some more recent photos. A lot of 2005 pics look similar, and it was a busy year for me.

You can check out the history of this tank, as well as fish stocking, hardware, and other tank specs on my webpage

Old 04-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well one things for sure malkore. Your jungle looks much better than mine. LOL

Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
What a great looking tank. I like the jungle look.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Nice looking jungle log you have there malkore. I especially like the way that java fern went from a plantlet to a huge bush. . It's also nice to see another member of the "jungle" theme.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I am amazed by the amount of growth you had in those 3 months. I shouldn't be I guess as I am finding that plants in aquariums can grow quite quickly. Those are some amazing shots, I love the colors.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I prefer it overgrown as well. Look forward to the next set of pics.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
what sort of fish is that in the top left of the bottom pic?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Takes alot of good growth to fill a 75 gallon like that. Nice healthy looking tank. Love the jungle look.
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I took a look through your log on your website and I have to say that my favorite is the Feb 2005 followed closely by the May 2005. I like the layout better in the May pic, but I feel the Feb pic is just a touch better because of the use of colors. There's just too much red and barely any green in the May pic, which makes it harder for me to really explore the layout.

I look forward to seeing some more recent pictures!
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101
what sort of fish is that in the top left of the bottom pic?
in that pic, it could only be one of my paradise fish, macropodus operculi

Yes, when I scaped in may 2005, i received a ton of red plants. I wholly agree, it was too red for a while.

I just did a major rescaping, so once things get grown in a hair, I'll have a new, current photo to post.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I finally have a new photo!

As you can see, big changes. Painted blue background, no more driftwood, and a lack of plants. Actually I just replanted, and then built a new canopy, which left me without any lights for about 5 days.
On the plus side, ZERO nuisance algae.
I can now also do water changes 100% solo. Previously my canopy was so bulky and heavy due to being red oak, that it required two people to safely remove and replace the canopy.

I will be posting instructions shortly in the DIY section. This canopy is something ANYONE can assemble, as long as you can get the guy at Home Depot to make 6 cuts for you, or you have access to a saw and can make straight cuts. A drill is also handy. And a box of screws.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Wow that is big changes! I know what you mean about the canopy being bulky, have the same prob on my 125. Just have to get around to finding time to DIY a new one. I'll be reading your DIY thread when you get it up. I am an expert at straight cuts no problem there. I'll have to do the math for size conversion, that is my weakness. LOL.

I liked the driftwood. I may have driftwood issues though, just about all my tanks have some.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:14 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Without the driftwood it looks like you're seriously farming crypts in there Which ones are you growing? The blue looks great.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have red, green and bronze wenditti, affinis, and 'green gecko'...a very uncommon species that a friend hooked me up with. its a cake to grow.

Zagz, my canopy just sits right on top of the lip, rather than slipping down over it, its really just a cheap imitation of the AHSupply.com pre-fab enclosures. The only reason I didn't buy theirs was the shipping was as much as the enclosure, and I wanted it a little wider (theirs is for a 55gal, so its only 9" front to back...I made mine 11.5" since my 75gal is deeper front to back).
I'm gonna try to get that all posted tonight. need the 'finished' photos. gonna try to sketch a blueprint here at work and then scan it in.

Tags
5 gallon, 75g, 75gal, 75gallon, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com