Mango pleco is adjusting nicely...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
We aquired a mango pleco a couple weeks ago, and he is slowly adjusting to his new home. We had him in the 55 gallon, but my common was bullying him off the food, so we put him in the 29 for now, he is about 2 inches in length. Once he gets bigger, and starts fighting back, he will go back into the 55. I know we will be needing a larger tank for him, and his home will likely become a 150+ gallon home, while the 2 larger ones will move into a 200+ gallon tank. I will try to get some better pictures, the ones we have are not that great in quality.

I had never seen one prior to buying him, we saw him, and got that instant "must buy" syndrome...LOL He it a cute lil thing, with a bluish-grey main body color that fades to black on the fins, with a strip of white at the ends...

Some pictures are here. He is our favorite one so far, as we have a common hypostomus punctatus (bully), and a pterygoplichthes gibbi. Is is normal for the common to bully others like that, I figured it'd be the gibbi that would bully, but he protects the mango. I am still doing my post purchase research on the mango, but he really is beautiful.

I'm jealous. My LFS has had mangos occasionally and it's all I can do to keep from buying one. Sadly I don't have space to keep one. I'm glad yours is settling in.

Very nice looking pleco, I did google him after your post. I will be interested in seeing your pics once your guy is cooperative.

He's very pretty, though he is rather timid. I'm hoping he becomes more outgoing as he adjusts more, though if he doesnt, that is perfectly ok. We added some terra cotta planter hide outs for him, as well as his already familiar cave decoration. He has some cucumber in the tank right now, fresh from the fridge. The other 2 ate 2 halves to the skin last nite, hungry brats. I give the mango, Mel, a quarter slice that is roughly a fourth of the length of the cucumber. The 2 in the other tank get 2 half slices, that are about a third of the length.Once Mel begins to venture out more, I will try to get some better pictures, but I also need the tripod.

Thank you to all for the advice, and compliments :)

paul_219 said:
I know a pineapple pleco its better lol.

I had to go look and see what a pineapple plec looked like...LOL I like my mango, he's different. We stopped by the LFS where he came from, and they didnt have anymore of them, and were down to one gold nugget plec, and maybe 3 tigers...we had to refrain from purchasing the gold nugget...LOL

Back
Top Bottom