marble hatchetfish and killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdrianP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so im looking to setup a new 25 gallon bowfront, its going to be heavily planted (with fake plants) and a few caves and hiding spots. So as far as stocking I was thinking of getting 2 German Blue Rams. Those are going to be the centerpiece of the tank but to fill the rest of the tank I was thinking of getting a few marble hatchetfish for the top but was wondering if its possible to have the hatchetfish and a small school of killifish. What do you guys think about all these fish together? Also what about some loaches or cory cats and a pleco?
Thanks in advance

In a 25g I would opt for corys, since a nice school creates more movement in the tank rather than a single large pleco.
As for hatchet fish I have no idea sorry, but the killifish should be fine with the rams. :)

Ok great, but my question still stands... can I have killifish abd hatchetfish im my tank together?

Definitely jumpers! I have had them jump out while I was just cleaning the tank!

What kind of corys were you thinking?

I'd think any of the smaller ones. Panda cories are lovely, don't get very large, cute as can be. Pygmy cories are quite tiny, don't have much in the way of markings but swim at mid levels much of the time, so you see them a lot. Very cute in their way. I prefer C. hastatus, but can't find them lately. Similar to pygmaeus, but with a pretty star mark at the tail base.

Check the adult size of cories you like the look of, and stick with the ones that tend to be smaller as adults. Some get to a fairly impressive size, though nothing like Plecos of course.

I"m rather fond of black kuhli loaches. Not colourful like their striped cousins, but they are much more outgoing, often chasing each other in vertical circles for long periods of time, often out in the day time too.

You'd want a minimum of 3 for loaches or cories, and both are happier with six or more. Smooth substrate so as not to damage their barbels.

I'd think any of the smaller ones. Panda cories are lovely, don't get very large, cute as can be. Pygmy cories are quite tiny, don't have much in the way of markings but swim at mid levels much of the time, so you see them a lot. Very cute in their way. I prefer C. hastatus, but can't find them lately. Similar to pygmaeus, but with a pretty star mark at the tail base.

Check the adult size of cories you like the look of, and stick with the ones that tend to be smaller as adults. Some get to a fairly impressive size, though nothing like Plecos of course.

I"m rather fond of black kuhli loaches. Not colourful like their striped cousins, but they are much more outgoing, often chasing each other in vertical circles for long periods of time, often out in the day time too.

You'd want a minimum of 3 for loaches or cories, and both are happier with six or more. Smooth substrate so as not to damage their barbels.

Yes ive been warned a few times about the hatchetfish but I plant to have plants all the way to the surface to reduce the jumping, and as far as corys I was originally going for cory cats but I really like the C. Hastatus you meantioned.
Ok so 4 C.hastatus and 4 black khuli should be fine right?

What kind of Killifish are you considering? I have Chocolate and Gold Australe Killi's, Splendid Killi's, Gardneri P82 Killi's, and Rachovii Killi's. Some like the Splendid and Gardneri Killi's like staying on the top most of the time. The other species move all over the tank. These species would all do fine with hatchetfish.

Im not sure I definitely want a mid swimmer but would also like one thats colorful

If you can find C. hastatus, I'm sure you will love them. I sure did, and wish I could find them again. And 4 loaches is ok. More is always better, but 4 is enough for them to have some company when they curl up together.

You can also use Dwarf Chain Loaches instead of the cories. They are very active, not in the least bit shy, and are clowns with all their antics.

Thanks I really like those loaches, do you have any suggestions for killifish that are colorful and mid swimmers?

Thanks I really like those loaches, do you have any suggestions for killifish that are colorful and mid swimmers?

The most colorful killifish that both the males and females are brightly colored are the Gold Australe (Aphyosemion australe).

If you don't mind paying for overnight shipping I know where you can order both and at decent prices.

Back
Top Bottom