Marble Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went in to a petsmart and they had "marble shrimp" for sale. I was thinking to get one as they were around 1.5-2" maybe a bit bigger in their tank and i know my fish wouldnt be able to eat it like they do the RCS or Ghost shrimp. But my question to you all is, what the heck is a Marble Shrimp? Are they aggressive? They didnt seem to have claws, they had more of a fan looking thing where claws would normally be.

Funny part is that they said they would grow to be around 1", most of them were well beyond 1" in their petsmart tank. So long as they arent aggressive i may pick one up tomorrow on my way home from work.

How long will fish survive in those bags? I live around 45-70 min away from work (time depends on traffic) should it be ok for the drive?

Thanks
-Pleco

i believe thats what petsmart sells, bamboo shrimp, i thought it said they get 3" big?

but yes they are filter feeders.

and if your petsmart is like mine, it cost $11. i believe these guys are kinda fragile (they keep dying at my petsmart) and like most shrimp dont live long enough to cost $11

your choice though, cool shrimp i agree

Thank you for all the responses. I will pick one up tomorrow but one question still remains. given the commute times that i stated in my OP will the shrimp be ok in the plastic bag? I am not sure how long fish can live in those as i have never travelled more than 10-12 minutes with them.

Thanks
-Pleco

he will be fine for the ride home home. they are not fragile, but again they are filter feeders and should be kept in a well planted tank with other shrimp. the biggest problem with filter feeders is slowly killing them due to not getting enough to eat.

45-75 mins? what because it would be friday 5 o'clock traffic? or because your traveling a long ways to petsmart?

if you feel the shrimp might suffocate, you could cut the bag open and put him in an open jar or something

hc8719 said:
45-75 mins? what because it would be friday 5 o'clock traffic? or because your traveling a long ways to petsmart?

if you feel the shrimp might suffocate, you could cut the bag open and put him in an open jar or something

Its just normal traffic. Usually i can leave work at 3:55 and be home by 4:30, but sometimes there is more traffic than other times. The petsmart is about 5 min from my work. I live 30 miles from work.

Should i stick with 1, or would it be a better idea to get them in a pair so they have a friend, does it matter? I know common human logic of "it needs a friend" doesnt always work the same in the fish world so i thought i would ask.

-Pleco

i have a neocardina blue sold to me as a ghost shrimp, when all the ghost died, he surived, and has been living by himself for quite awhile, i would get another one if i found another.

most shrimp enjoy the company of others, but i know little of bamboo shrimp

lovemybarbs said:
I love my bamboo/marble shrimp. I've had them for about six months. If you can, get two, they like to snuggle sometimes on my filter.

Mine tend to just stay in the flow of the airstone i have in the tank. or as close to the output flow of my filter as they can.

They are fun to watch :)

-Pleco

hc8719 said:
finally saw a live marble/bamboo shrimp at petsmart,

now i want one...

Maybe to help you decide faster or to make others here want one, here are some photos of my marble shrimp. I bought two of them from Petsmart, they sell them for $11.99 around here.

They like to stay in the bubble flow from the airstone, or they wander around the tank. Very fun to keep. They change colors at a whim too, they are pretty cool shrimp.

-Pleco

Attachments

• img_1645_718.jpg
    img_1645_718.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 34
  • img_1655_528.jpg
    img_1655_528.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 33
  • img_1667_201.jpg
    img_1667_201.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 26
  • img_1671_138.jpg
    img_1671_138.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 37
cool shrimp, i'd just be afraid (the ones i saw at petsmart were huge) that i'd end up getting an old shimp, and have it die on me in 6 months.

do yours ever hide? i know all the shrimp ive had, hide. maybe these guys are different

they dont neccisarily hide. mine either are on the filter intake, heater, or just walking around. i got 3 from a petco about a month ago. i think 2 of the 3 have already moulted. the wierd thing is, that they were around 2-3x bigger than most bamboo shrmip ive seen. their not vampire shrimp because those look different.

also they can pick up flakes if they get hungry.

I'm in Michigan and our Petco sells them for 5.99, Only 1 of the 3 stores around here has them regularly. I have 2 in with my goldfish and they blend to match the ground (black with a lighter brown strip on the back that matches the stones), and one in my black molly/gold sword tank, he is often red, or tan to match the stones.
Very kewl shrimp. I'd get more if I could afford them.

my petco doesnt, not that im aware of, i go to michigan alot, were was that petco, if i can get two for the price of petsmarts one, i'd be interested

yeah i think i got mine close to 6.00. the people who sold to my petco (distributor or something) stopped doing it so i stopped going to petco entirely. i stopped by and there they were.

and 5.99 is pretty good. most other places locally sell them for around 9.00, but vampires are 25.00. wierd eh?

hc8719 said:
how much does petco sell them for, krap?

The one near Franklin Park Mall had a few Bamboo Shrimp a couple weeks ago. I believe the price was between $6 and $8 each. Can't remember the exact price.

Back
Top Bottom