Marine/freshwater testers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlodder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a marine test kit for things like Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia and PH.

Can I use this to test Freshwater, or are they specific to saltwater only.

:thanks:

Not 100% positive on the ph test, but the other 3 are fine. Same tests for fw and sw, just a slightly different color charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great, thank you. I have a small marine tank and just setting up a larger 250l freshwater tank and this would save me buying yet more kit unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is the API kit you would need to make sure you have the freshwater color charts.

Thanks for the info, any idea where i can get a chart?

I suppose I could try API themselves

:banghead:aquarium pharmaceuticals uk, what a waste of time. They tell me to go back to the people I got the kit from as they don't supply lost cards.
Remind me to cross them off of my purchase from list.

Looks like I will have to try and make my own.... How hard can it be?

If I start from a known reading of 0 straight from the tap and photograph the colours in the test tubes for that reading that will give me a start point.

Trouble is with that I suppose, is that I will see a colour change but not know how bad the water is

Open to any and all suggestions.

I have a marine test kit for things like Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia and PH.

Can I use this to test Freshwater, or are they specific to saltwater only.

:thanks:

For ammonia, nitrites, ph, gh, kh you can use cheap API.
Use better tests kits for phosphates and nitrates. API GH and KH kits don't work for saltwater even if it's written saltwater on the box.

usually for test kits made for FW&SW, they have two color charts. Ammonia test kits colors varies from SW and FW.

Back
Top Bottom