Marine Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMaiden

Aquarium Advice Freak
That place between sleeping and awake, where drea
Hey all I have a brackish tank and wanted to know if it would be safe to put white ocean sand in it. It's a 29 gal so if I can use this sand how deep should it be? Also what critter could I keep in the brackish to stir the sand? The dragon fish loves to dig so would that be enough to stir the sand up? Thanks in advance guys, you're the greatest!

Hey all I have a brackish tank and wanted to know if it would be safe to put white ocean sand in it

You mean sand FROM the ocean? Generally not a good idea, if so. It can contain pollutants, run off, other nasty things. One way that is often mentioned here is to keep it in a QT tank with fresh carbon running for a few weeks to a month to remove all the contaminants. That is time consuming, but an option. For brackish also, not really many inverts. They are fully marine or fully freshwater. Nerite snails would be a good option for you, but that's it otherwise. The Dragonfish will be fine for moving the sand around.

Also moving this to the FW and Brackish forum so you will get a better response.

The sand is store bought Devlishturtles. Its white ocean sand. Its brand is Nature's Oceans. It came from Petco. So its ok then? Just making sure, also you probably shouldnt put marine sand in a freshwater tank right? Pool sand would work fine for a freshy tank probably.

there should be no problems, the sand is can be used in fresh or saltwater unless otherwise stated, I think live sand is used only in saltwater since the bacteria holds thrives in full salt tanks

Back
Top Bottom