Marineland BioWheels Keeping Coming Off/Float

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjbass

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Marineland Model 4 sump and those spinning Bio Wheels keep coming off the little hinge and floating, so I have to turn off my pumps, take out all the filter trays and put it back. Sometimes I will put it all back together and turn the pumps on and it will spin and then float again!

Anybody have any idea why this keeps happening and maybe have experienced the same thing. Any suggestions to keep them on. I thought about rubber bands around the ends, but they would eventually deteriorate.

I have a Marineland Biowheel filtration system, too. The one I have now is built=in, but I've also used several HOB models (never a sump, though). I would say if the biowheel keeps popping out it might be one of two things. First, is the water flow too fast and/or hard, to where it is possibly popping the wheel out? Could you adjust the flow and see if it helps? Second, is it possibly a manufacturer's defect? If used properly, the biowheel should absolutely stay in place - you shouldn't have to be resorting to rubber bands or other contraptions to hold the wheel in place. It should just work. I've seen other AA members mention that Marineland has pretty good customer service. Man, I have returned quite a few filters because they didn't work properly or because they only lasted a short period of time; the store has always taken them back, even when I show up with the filter in an orange box and no packaging. Good luck solving your problem. I'd say calling Marineland and explaining the problem would be a place to start; they might send you a new filter if it's a manufacturing defect. I had one biowheel (the Penguin filter) that I couldn't get to turn. I considered that a defect. We returned it.

I do not have this type of pump but I second that you should contact Marineland. They really stand behind there products and are very good about helping you out if something isnt working and will send you out a new product as replacement if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom