Marineland Canister help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geodesy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 20 gallon tank setup for about 45 days now. The HOB filter was not keeping up so I bought a Marineland C220 canister. I have read it's much better to replace some of the filter media with Eheim Substrate pro. The issue is, I don't know which media in the filter I would replace. I don't remember the order of media but it has charcoal, ceramic beads and the plastic balls. Please help so I am sure to replace the correct media with the Eheim and Putin in the correct order in the filter.

Most canisters take water to the bottom and filter it upwards to go out into the tank.

depending on your space you always want a course foam pad in the very bottom to catch all the big gunk and plant material. After than a fine pad will catch all the little stuff.

Mid level I have another fine filter pad to catch any that got loose, then a bag of small ceramic filter media.

Top level I have filled with big bio media that's also ceramic and looks like turds lol.

That's my setup for my Cascade that has 3 trays.

Filter media on top is important so they pads take the heat and you media doesn't get filled up with gunk. This helps keep the water flowing a little better and helps the media last longer.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

But which am I best to replace with Eheim? The charcoal, the plastic balls, or the ceramic beads? It has 4 trays total.

Back
Top Bottom