Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Marineland Filter and "Carbon" Change??

Hello all. So as usual, I am slowly learning from mistake after mistake and beginning to get a better understanding of this whole thing you all call a "relaxing hobby" haha. Anyways, for a long time I was under the impression to follow the manufacturers advice on my Marineland filter pads and just replace it every month. Had no idea I was basically wasting all my BB and just destroying the ecosystem that was in place month after month. So now, I am just rinsing off the filter pad (as well as this more permanent "black spongy" cartridge also in the filter that I'm not sure what it is or does but it says never replace it). But now, I am reading about carbon and how it works.

So my main question is, I have an Marineland filter and use Marineland Penguin Power Filter Cartridges, Size C. If I am not replacing these every month, and carbon becomes worn out/useless after about 4-5 weeks, then is there something I should be doing to replenish it?

As always, thanks so much

Old 07-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhat06 View Post
Hello all. So as usual, I am slowly learning from mistake after mistake and beginning to get a better understanding of this whole thing you all call a "relaxing hobby" haha. Anyways, for a long time I was under the impression to follow the manufacturers advice on my Marineland filter pads and just replace it every month. Had no idea I was basically wasting all my BB and just destroying the ecosystem that was in place month after month. So now, I am just rinsing off the filter pad (as well as this more permanent "black spongy" cartridge also in the filter that I'm not sure what it is or does but it says never replace it). But now, I am reading about carbon and how it works.

So my main question is, I have an Marineland filter and use Marineland Penguin Power Filter Cartridges, Size C. If I am not replacing these every month, and carbon becomes worn out/useless after about 4-5 weeks, then is there something I should be doing to replenish it?

As always, thanks so much
Well I would 100% recommend getting a FLUVAL C3 or the same model. It has the BIO-filter and the CARBON and the foam pad all separate so you can take out the carbon without disrupting anything els. Buy it on Amazon to save $$$ and there is no way to reactivate your carbon.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you don't want to switch filters, you can remove the carbon from the pads and fill it up with ceramic rings. Then, put the whole cartridge inside a pantyhose. Amazon also sells an empty cartridge that you can fill it up with any media of your desire. Just an idea.

Tags
change, filter, marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com