Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel too loud...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel filter has started to tic me off. My tank is in my bedroom and the water trickling noise is intensely loud and Im going insane. I am able to return it if I have to, because the people at Petsmart are nice. I want another biowheel filter, I like them, but one that doesnt have this much operation and water trickling noise. Any suggestions?

Fill your water level so it is higher. Biowheels typically have a louder sound because of water falling from the biowheel

I am not thinking correctly today. I dont know why I didnt think of it in the first place. Thank you for the reply.

tropicalfish said:
Fill your water level so it is higher. Biowheels typically have a louder sound because of water falling from the biowheel
Exactly. The higher the level of water in your tank, the shorter the distance for the water to spill out of the biowheel. I have a Penguin on my 29 gal and as long as I keep my water level above the bottom of the top rim of the tank, the water noise is minimal.

Can you imagine how loud it is in the water? Anyone who has been snorkeling or scuba diving knows what I'm talking about. You hear a motor boat and you look up because you think it's right on top of you. Water conducts sound really well.

I often wondered what my fish thought when I was filling the tank, but then I realized that any river with a cataract is going to make a lot of noise. heard that frogs cant take it though and need still water. I am really glad I didnt get the albino I wanted.

+3, raise the water level. there is a little lip on the bottom of the filter, make sure the water is above that.

cabezon said:
I often wondered what my fish thought when I was filling the tank, but then I realized that any river with a cataract is going to make a lot of noise. heard that frogs cant take it though and need still water. I am really glad I didnt get the albino I wanted.

+3, raise the water level. there is a little lip on the bottom of the filter, make sure the water is above that.

If you're filling it that high, you lose any water agitation that might be enough to replace an air bubbler. Then you're adding noise from the bubbler. I guess there's a balance somewhere that you can find. I personally only run my air bubbler for a few hours when I am normally at work.

I would keep mine about half a centimeter under the lip...
Even if the water is above the lip, there would still be plenty of water agitation though

Is it necessary to see bubbles formed or just to get the water moving so oxygen gets dissolved across the surface?

I've got waves and a strong current, water agitation is not a problem. Besides, that's what the biowheel does, so there is plenty of oxygen transfer. otherwise, no calm lake could support life.

Gotcha. I just thought you had to break the water's surface, not just move it. Lakes also have the benefit of oxygenating plants.

I filled up my water, leaving a little bit of the lip still above the water. There is a HUGE difference in the water trickling noise, and its very tolerable, even relaxing. It doesn't sound like a waterfall anymore. There is still a nice current around my tank

My emperor 400s do the same thing I just top the tank off mid week in between water changes.

Back
Top Bottom