Mass fish death mystery..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so right as I'm really getting confident after my fish in cycle, fish are doing great, plants growing like crazy, not a whole lot of worries. Then last night when I did my PWC.. By the time I was done: all 10 fry were dead, and all of my fish were at the top of the water gasping. This morning dead: 1x rainbowfish, 7x rasboras, 1x ghost catfish, 1x ghost shrimp... WHAT IN THE WORLD?! All my parameters are in check?? I'm so confused!! Any ideas at all?!

Thanks

Okay, so right as I'm really getting confident after my fish in cycle, fish are doing great, plants growing like crazy, not a whole lot of worries. Then last night when I did my PWC.. By the time I was done: all 10 fry were dead, and all of my fish were at the top of the water gasping. This morning dead: 1x rainbowfish, 7x rasboras, 1x ghost catfish, 1x ghost shrimp... WHAT IN THE WORLD?! All my parameters are in check?? I'm so confused!! Any ideas at all?!

Thanks

Did you treat your new water? Was there any soap in the new water? Sorry about your losses......

redsea said:
Did you treat your new water? Was there any soap in the new water? Sorry about your losses......

That's the only thing I can think of, while in the midst of changing water my mom started yelling for me to come here and when I came back I just started the siphon to refill it (I raise my bucket up on a crate and siphon the water in, normally putting prime in the bucket before starting the siphon) I realized I never put prime in when I put it in the second bucket, and immediately put a bigger dose than needed in the tank (about 2x probably). I didn't think it'd be that detrimental though.. And the untreated water never ran through the filters, I turn them off while I change the water.

Your supposed to put as much prime as the volume of the tank not the volume, or even double, of what your putting in. So that could have been it.

OH.. but I've been doing that for about 3months.. hasn't really seemed to be bad.. ill start doing the whole tank though.

If you treat the water your adding before you add it then you only need to treat what your putting in. If you add untreated water then you need to treat the whole tank. If that makes any sense?

Yes it does, and I nornally do, but the prime in the bucket, THEN fill it up, THEN siphon into tank. My routine was just thrown off.. but still, would that have led to half my fish dieing??

Yes it could have. You might want to test your water again too to see if it went through a mini cycle from some of the unteated water.

Them maybe it was just the chlorine. Because I doubt you got it all from how much you've treated. I would do another pwc

Back
Top Bottom