Master of Betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please let your opinions fly (based on fact or experience)

I've got two male Betta's in my 55. I grew up with the 2nd Golden rule: 1 Betta per tank. I went to my LFS and spoke to Yoda (the fish guru). He stated that Betta's aren't mean, simply territorial... given enough space, they'll be fine. This man knows more about fish than anybody I know, so I trusted him and got TWO males. :confused:

I was scared.:eek:

I put them in my tank. One on the left, the other on the right. Needles to say, after living in a shot glass, they were a little scared entering my 55. At one point, they were both hiding behind the same plant, with one fish butted up against the other.

No confrontation.

Has anybody successfully done this before? I've got other tanks to move them if I need to, but they seem to get along just fine...

just give it a little time and let them get comfortable and see if any aggression starts to emerge

Be VERY careful, and watch them like a stalker!! Have a back up plan ready. I have never heard of this happening before. I have heard of someone releasing two male bettas in a lake as a test to see if the big area would make them less aggressive, and they still fought right away.

Be VERY careful, and watch them like a stalker!! Have a back up plan ready. I have never heard of this happening before. I have heard of someone releasing two male bettas in a lake as a test to see if the big area would make them less aggressive, and they still fought right away.
They probably released them right beside each other. I have also heard that they simply need enough space and plenty of decor to break the line of sight! Give it a try! I would love to hear how this goes!

My boyfriend pulled this off with a few males in a 125g, so it can potentially work. I don't know what is the minimum space requirement to do so. But, I would imagine, as with everything else with bettas, it depends on the fish.

Naturally, males would come across each other on a frequent basis, so it isn't illogical that given the right amount of area that they couldn't coexist. But, they have been selectively bred to bring out particular characteristics, so there is a counter argument.

I really hope this works out for you! Lots of plants, hiding places, caves, driftwood, ornaments will help it be more successful. From what I gather, it's like pulling off a betta sorority on a large scale.

So, is this called a fraternity???

TheCrazyFishLady said:
My boyfriend pulled this off with a few males in a 125g, so it can potentially work. I don't know what is the minimum space requirement to do so. But, I would imagine, as with everything else with bettas, it depends on the fish.

Naturally, males would come across each other on a frequent basis, so it isn't illogical that given the right amount of area that they couldn't coexist. But, they have been selectively bred to bring out particular characteristics, so there is a counter argument.

I really hope this works out for you! Lots of plants, hiding places, caves, driftwood, ornaments will help it be more successful. From what I gather, it's like pulling off a betta sorority on a large scale.

So, is this called a fraternity???

Maybe the aggression is a frat party that went too far? Lol
I will be following to see how this turns out. I hope it works out for you!

Hmmm... I have a larger tank and looking into putting a betta in there, maybe two;). Following!:popcorn:

Must say the title caught my eye, but now I would really like to know what the outcome is. I hope 55g is enough room.

So far so good...

I checked the Betta's several times throughout the night, and several times this morning. They are both still a bit scared, and are hiding :hide:(I really hate how Betta's are treated in stores). They don't seem to really even care that the other is in the same tank.

At one point they were both hanging out in the same corner, with one head actually touching the other Betta's fins. :eek: I just sat there staring... waiting for the drama so I could scoop one out and save them from fighting. Thankfully, it never happened.

It's almost like these fish don't know they're not supposed to get along. :fish1::fish2:

Of course it could be that once they get adjusted to being in a community tank, they will act different towards each other, but so far so good. I'll keep posting/documenting any activity.

Following! My first male Betta was a total sweetie, I put him in with three females and everyone was perfectly happy. So maybe you got two sweeties? Fingers crossed.

Has anybody successfully done this before? I've got other tanks to move them if I need to, but they seem to get along just fine...

I haven't done that exact thing but I did have a male and female betta that refused to ever be separated. They lived together in a 10 gallon.

You've got a large enough tank that, even though I normally wouldn't recommend this practice, it may work for you. That said, even you are admitting that they are showing lots of fear as they settle into the new environment. You just don't know what might happen once they do become comfortable and their natural behavior shines through.

Good luck with the Frat Pack! (y)

Back
Top Bottom