Matrix or Sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmurphy171

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a penguin 330 that contains two media baskets. I'm thinking about using one of the baskets to house bio media. I read a few posts here about people losing their bio filter on the bio wheel if the power goes out. Since its that time of the year again and I can lose power in thunderstorms I want a "backup" bio filter that won't die if the power goes. Which would be better, filling the basket with Matrix Bio Media or a sponge?

Makes no difference if the bacteria reside in a biowheel, sponge, or matrix media: if the power and flow of water are interrupted for more than an hour, the good bacteria will die. How long do your outages usually last? My parents on LI lose power often in the summer, but the outages are usually just a few minutes at a time - just long enough to have to reset the VCR and all the digital clocks. :evil: This length of time shouldn't pose any threat to the biofilter. If your outages are generally several hours, you should look into getting a small battery backup (UPS).

QTOFFER said:
Makes no difference if the bacteria reside in a biowheel, sponge, or matrix media: if the power and flow of water are interrupted for more than an hour, the good bacteria will die. How long do your outages usually last? If your outages are generally several hours, you should look into getting a small battery backup (UPS).

Oh man :cry: I thought the reason the bio bugs die on a bio wheel in a power failure was because the media dried out and with other media in the filter that contained water I would be safe.

Out here in the country (former nycityboy) It can be either a vcr clock reset outage or a "hurry up and eat the ice cream" outage lasting a few hours.

I will contend the 1 hour or death theory. I have read it in many places, but my personal experience tells me otherwise, like when I forgot to plug in the filter after a thorough water change in the 80 gal. The next morning, all the fish were near the top and my fiance realized what happened. Checked the water that day and the over the next few days. Nothing happened; water parameters were fine. I also know when we have moved (too often) the filters are not drained, just packed up and off we go. Again, sometimes the filters sit like that for over 12 hours. I'm not sure if you have to eat all the ice cream in 12 hours or not :wink:
At any rate, you should invest in a battery operated air pump. This will allow the water to be aerated while the power is out. Plus it may come in handy if you move!

Menagerie, that's good to know in case we have a repeat blckout like last summer. After you forgot to plug in the filter (I've done that before with the heater:oops: ), did you even experience a mini-cycle - any blip in ammonia levels?

Ok so I'll pickup a battery air pump, and I'll look at a small UPS at Sam's Club or BJ's for the pump also great ideas! Thanks.

Now is the basic premises of my idea to add another area for the bio filter to develop sound or will there be to much competition for the bio filter between the bio wheels and the bio media in one filter that will reduce the effectiveness of the bio wheels or is it a case of the more area the better?

I have penguin 330s on my discus tanks. To increase both chemical and bio filtration I use a layer of ceramic noodles and cover with filter floss in the baskets. I also use sponge pre filters on the intake tubes.

Agree with Menagerie (sorry QTOFFER). The bio wheels depend upon a steady flow of water to work properly. If they dry out you lose your nitrifying bacteria. However that same bacteria can live quite a long time in your media baskets and sponges if undisturbed.

tmurphy171 said:
Ok so I'll pickup a battery air pump, and I'll look at a small UPS at Sam's Club or BJ's for the pump also great ideas[!quote]

Most small UPS's will only run for an hour or two, even with nothing plugged in to them. I'm not sure they will help you too much in a really long power outage, but they might buy you a little time.

I also have to agree with Menagerie - I've accidently left the power off on my Eclipse bio-wheel for several hours, and I didn't have any problems afterwards. I think the bio-wheels take a little longer than a few hours to "dry out", and they are certainly getting plenty of oxygen during that time.

I hate to admit this, but I forget to plug in the filter on a regular basis :oops:
I don't know what it is, but with 6 tanks and I usually do water changes on all of them, one is often forgot about; although, the over night one was rare.
I did test the water and found nothing different in the readings. Also, the fish behaved normally, except for being at the top of the tank. Once the filter got turned on, within minutes, the fish were back doing their own thing.

Back
Top Bottom