Max temp for Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try keeping it by the 80 range. DO NOT let the temp go up or down too fast. Bettas live in conditions where the temp usually stays constant most of the time.

Well, I am trying to cure Ich and the tank doesnt have a heater....See betta with ich post. This is why I am asking.

Ah kk, sorry about that. They can prolly go into the 84-85, even 86 range for a couple weeks...but of course you wouldn't want it that high always.

Aren't you supposed to go AT LEAST 86* to kill ich? This betta is in 89* water right now. I am having a hard time keeping it at one specific temp. Driving me NUTS!

when I treated my Betta for ich I slowly raised the temp about 1-2 degrees every 12 hours (I usualy kept him at 82). I got it up to about 87, Ich actually speeds up as the temperature gets warmer to about 85ish I believe. But a high temp should cure that naturally. There are always things like quick cure, I like to cure naturally if I can. It's hard to keep temperature consistent in a small tank, especially if you have lights on. When I treated my Betta I left the lights out so that it was just the heater heating the tank and that kept it consistent.

I dont have a heater on this tank, he isnt my betta and it is a 1g tank, i am using the light for heat, i have towels over the top to keep the heat up. I was surprised I got it up to 89*

Ah I see... well yes then don't turn off the light then, hey? :p I always went out and bought heaters for my betta's tanks as I like to keep my temperatures warm. The room I keep them in always got freezing!

If it isn't a curved betta bowl, I would really recommend gonig out and buying a 25 watt heater. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end, have whosever Betta it is pay for it... I think it will really help you out

The tank is one of those 1g corner tanks, the lid wont allow for a heater, so in order to put a heater on this tank, i would have to remove the lid, which in turn would allow for kitty attack, and remove the light. Cats do eat bettas, Ive had it happen. Anyway, he has a 10g that he was going to put this fish in when he gets better. He already has a couple of danios in there and doesnt want to get them sick. This bettas tank has been at least 89* since monday and the spots are still there. I am very concerned that this isnt ich, but if its not I dont know what it is. What could he have had for at least 3 months that he has survived? My understanding is that velvet, which apparently looks kinda like ich, would have killed him by now. I am debating on wheither just to use the quick cure and quit messing with his temps.

I really suggest getting a controllable heater next time. Even a small underwater one with just a cord that would stick through the lid. With this light the temperature probably went up very fast and is more diffucult to control. I'd be surprised if the fish survived a quick raise in heat even if it wasn't sick.

I really understand where you are coming from with the heat....this is not my betta, it is my boyfriends little brothers, and I am only keeping it until it is not sick anymore, if it ever gets better anyway. When I put the towel on the top of the tank, the temp raised about 2* per day. I checked it several times a day to be sure. My personal betta is in my 55g community tank. I wouldnt even keep a betta in a 1g if he were mine. In fact I am almost positive that it was the cold temp of the tank that caused the fish to get sick in the first place. He is probably in heaven now that the temp is warmer than 74*. Does anyone have any information on any diseases that resemble ich? All of his spots are the same size except for one that is larger than the rest. They are pretty much limited to his body and most of them are closer to or on his head.

Back
Top Bottom