Max's 40 Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! I have a 40B and am setting it up soon. I will list the details below.
Equipment:
  • Tank: Aqueon 40B from Petco's $/g sale with black background
  • Filter: Fluval 306
  • Heater: Aqueon Pro 200w
  • Light: None yet
  • Stand: Aqueon Black Pine Stand (picking it up today :brows: )
  • Substrate: I haven't decided :)
I will probably throw a few different plants in it when I get a light, but as of right now I don't want or need a light. I will definitely buy one soon, though.
Fish:
  • Probably a breeding pair of angels (I may end up getting 6 juvies and separating the pairs once they grow). I am leaning towards blue striped angels.
  • Possibly a pair of German blue rams (depends on if I can find any nice ones when I am stocking the tank).
I'll "instant cycle" it with media from my other tanks, and dose ammonia for a few days to allow the BB to establish in the new media.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I wish I had a 40B. My sister brought home one for here lizards for when she is on winter break at home and it looks amazing. Awesome footprint for tons of plants. Wish I could use it...

I got the stand! :)

ForumRunner_20121212_201943.jpg

I'm liking how the black background looks with the stand.
ForumRunner_20121212_202006.jpg

I ordered a black/gray intake tube and strainer, hose connectors, elbow turns and a spray bar today. I got everything in black to match my black background better. I don't like the white plastic that the Fluval 06 series filters come with. I might get an RO/DI and hook it up to the bathroom (around the corner from the tank) to the tank, so I can get apistogramma panduros or some other softer water species.

Update... The black filter plumbing parts arrived, so I filled the tank up. I moved some of my other fish into the tank for now because my nannacara anomalas spawned. Right now I have a make and female Bolivian ram, a bristlenose pleco, some least killifish and some yellow cobra/snakeskin guppies. I also ordered a light and some substrate! I ordered a 4x39w Odyssea T5HO with blue LED moonlights. I will need to take out a bulb or two to keep it from becoming an algae farm. I ordered two 9 liter bags of ADA Aquasoil as the substrate. I plan to make this tank a high-tech planted tank with high light and pressurized co2.

Here are a few pics. Sorry, best I could do with the cell phone camera.

ForumRunner_20121224_105749.jpg

ForumRunner_20121224_105810.jpg

ForumRunner_20121224_105827.jpg

ForumRunner_20121224_105837.jpg

As for the aquascape- I am most likely going to order this manzanita driftwood:

img_2251810_0_db5fdb2c78cb2872d3b95c9582065e2b.jpg

I ordered this co2 regulator too.

Oh, I almost forgot-I also ordered angels today! I ordered 6 dime size blue zebra wide-fin juvies. I would post pictures of them, but they are copyrighted. Here is the auction.

if i may ask, where did you order your stand from? i need to find one for my 40G Breeder before i set it up lol

I looked all over and couldn't find one in a store or online, so I had to have an LFS special order it. It was kind of expensive, but it was the only one I could find. Good luck finding one!

can i ask how much you spent on the stand? if you don't feel comfortable sharing just say so lol i would just like to have an idea of how much i need to be prepared to drop.

can i ask how much you spent on the stand? if you don't feel comfortable sharing just say so lol i would just like to have an idea of how much i need to be prepared to drop.

It would've been $205 but it was on sale for $180.

Back
Top Bottom