May I say...Acidic water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nedly

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my most local pet store, almost an hour away, sells their fish in 6.0-6.4 PH water. So what am I supposed to do? Run a 2-week transition to get a fish into my tank? I keep my levels right at the 7.2-7.4 mark. I mean my water off the tap has a PH of 7.6. How in the world...does a pet store for one, run fish in acidic water like that, and for two, even have luck selling fish. O yeah, I figured it out, the warranty on their fish is .....wait for it.....48 hours. Yup, if you happen to get a fish sick enough you might get refunded.

I found this out because I purchased fish their recently, 3 molly type, and even after a period of hours transitioning them into the tank they have been in shock. So I went back to get another and actually ran tests on their water. I have to say, possibly shame on me for not testing their water and assuming it would be set to the proper level..

Is this at all normal? I have never seen a pet stores water so acidic, and a few others I go to sometimes are not like this. Although, they are more like 1hr - 1-1/2hr away...

My guess is they are not maintaining the tanks properly or performing water changes.
Essentially sounds as if the stores tanks are suffering from "old tank syndrome".
You should let them know about the dangerously low ph and ask about how often they do water changes on the tanks.
If they give you a bunch of BS, time to find a new source.

Thats where I'm at now, I probably wont shop there anymore. I mean, with a 48hr warranty you would have to literally buy a dying fish to be able to redeem it. Almost ever fish would be a sick fish or dying fish if it spent too much time in that crappy water. And to even adjust a fish to the tank would take at least a week. It is most certainly ridiculous. I did write to them, and if I don't get feedback I might call and harass them a little more. I just could not believe...It was a "Pet Quarters". I did the math on the PH and I think that water must be wicked old..

Back
Top Bottom