maybe mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
I`ve mix my bottom sand with aragonite ( 2 bag of sand for 1 bag of aragonite ) is that good to keep my ph stable in a fresh water aquarium ? The guy sold me that at the LFS told me that would keep my ph buffered. From what i`ve read on the web the ph will rise up to 8.2 which look too high to me.

Aragonite sand will buffer the PH to a level higher than acceptable for most fw fish. It is used mainly in a sw tank, they require higher PH levels. I would take it out, if you can, and start over.

Maybe you will be able to get away with it, depending on how much there is on the surface of the substrate.

Good Luck,
Brian

Darn... i`m at work not i`ll have to wait till 5 to do the changes. I'll go buy some sand at the LFS and Crushed coral and dump the old sand because it's all mixed now with aragonite. I just hope all can hold until this evening. I`ll have to catch all my 5 fish and empty the tank and take out all the sand.

Since you have it set up with fish see if it will work. Keep a close eye on the ph levels and maybe you dont need to break it all down. See how it goes. I wouldn't use the cc either. Straight sand is what i use, unless of course you have a ph problem with your water.

Brian

Give it a shot, if it doesn't work the you will only need to change it. You will not have lost anything, only gained the knowledge if it works or not. If your PH is falling, how far and their may be a problem with the KH level of your water. DO you have a KH test? Maybe you could pick one up. I use the Seachem KH/GH kit. Sometimes trial and error is the key to finding what works best. Anyone can tell you what worked for them but it may not work for you. If the water in your area suffers then maybe the lfs was onto something. The adviced I gave above may be out of place if you need that high of buffering, although unusual. I hope I did not confuse you, if so I appologize.
A bag of cc placed iny our filter may be another way to help your ph problem, this seems to be the way most go when a buffering problem occurs.

Brian

Yes i have a KH test and i did test it. it's like 2 drop and then you see the color change. it is less than 20 mg so i have to raise it to keep my ph stable. Asked my mother to test the PH and it's around 7.4 which is ok for now. Makes me feel a little better but i wont take any chance. I'll go get some sand and wait. If my ph rise above 7.6 ill make the change.

Back
Top Bottom