Me and my questions !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmanmanfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well hello my fellow fish people, glad to be apart of the website.
I have a 37 gallon eclpise tank with
1 blue gourami
3 giant danios
6 cory cats
2 yo yo loaches
1 neon(my old barbs ate the rest\0
2 large body hachetfish

Now the thing is im looking for a 75 gallon tank to get. I want a larger tank so that i can get more fish, and so that my other fish can grow freely and stress free. I have a couple question though, so please try to help me !
When i get my 75 gallon tank can i use sand?
If so then is it fine to plant some water plants into the sand, or do i need to lay a base of gravel then sand, so that the roots of the plans can get into the gravel spaces?
What type of filter, heater, lights and other accessories should i use/get?
If i have plants, then should i use a air stone?
And how many plants/fish should i get for my 75 gallon.

Welcome to AA. sand is fine most people use pool filter sand since its not as dirty. no need for gravel with plants just use the sands. i would go with a canister and 2 heaters bands is up to each person. almost all tanks dont need air stones running. its not oging to hurt the plants.

fishmanmanfish: I brought home my second pearl gourami along with other silver tip tetras. He/she was swimming with my other pearl and all was well. This morning the new gourami was dead, gone to a better place in fish heaven. Tomorrow I'm going back to my LFS and will probably replace him. Do you hav e any hints on keeping these mild fish alive. LIke I said, I have one in the tank I've had for over a month. The fish seems healthy and happy. Hints.. PleaSE.

Welcome to AA. I`m going to move you to the FW general discussion forum. More people will see your thread there.

Mellowyellow :
The new gourami was most likely male, and the one you had was male aswell. So the reason the new gourami died was because the older one killed it. Male gouramis are very territorial. The older one probably did not like the presence of the old one, and attacked it. if u want to keep more than one gourami, i'd say get one male( which you most likely have) and ask the fish store people to pick out FEMALE gouramis. This way the male does not attack them, but simply accepts them and perhaps even mates lol. IF you really want another male,then i'd suggest a bigger tank, so they can both have there own territories. I'd say 55 gallon would be good, the bigger the better.
Another thing, try to get gouramis that are the same size. Most gouramis are attacked because they are either new or much smaller then the rest.
Good luck!!!
What size tank do you have, and what other fish?
I can probably give you some nice looking, cheap and friendly fish for under 10 bucks for 3.

Back
Top Bottom