Mean Guppy bothering my platty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 males and 2 female Guppys and one organe in a 29 gallon tank

The one male keeps following and going after the one orange Platty Will not leave the platty alone follows all day long.

Would it help if i got some more plattys? there used to be 3 but 2 died due to ick. any suggestions?

You really need more guppies; the ratio of male to female should be...1 to 3 I think. Poor bugger is looking for a date and he's looking on the wrong side of the tracks LOL

I would suggest more plattys as well, again with the same ratio. Thing is, you'll wind up with a zillion babies with all those live bearers.

Oh and the duplicate post is deleted :)

I agree with Alli--you need to even up the playing fields (actually bring on the females!). From everything I have read about Mollies, Platys and Guppies, you need at least 2 females per 1 male. 3 are probably better.
I have 2 female Mollies and 1 male and things are okay right now. I also have 5 Celebes Rainbows in the tank and there are no problems. As for potential fry--they will be live food for the rainbows and bumble bee gobies (when ever they come in) or the cichlids in another tank. It's always good to have a plan for fry if you don’t have the room to raise ALL of them :wink:.

ok thanks for all the help it all makes sense i will go and get a few more females and a couple more platys thanks for all the great help

Jeff :D

Back
Top Bottom