media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The foam that comes with it in the slide-in tray. Bottom stacking tray should be crammed with polyester pillow stuffing from the crafts section of W**-Mart. The other three trays should be filled with Seachem Matrix. It is the best biomedia out there (yes, better than Fluval's Biomax or Eheims Effensomethin). Clean monthly.

Fishguy2727 said:
The foam that comes with it in the slide-in tray. Bottom stacking tray should be crammed with polyester pillow stuffing from the crafts section of W**-Mart. The other three trays should be filled with Seachem Matrix. It is the best biomedia out there (yes, better than Fluval's Biomax or Eheims Effensomethin). Clean monthly.

Would that be safe? The polyester pillow stuffing.... And stack them in the bottom tray?

Yes, 100% polyester pillow stuffing is perfectly safe. Just make sure it doesn't say anythign about 'antibacterial' or anything like that.

There are four stacking trays. The bottom one should be crammed with the pillow stuffing. The other three should be filled with Seachem Matrix.

Why take a chance on pillow stuffing that might be antibacterial when you can grab bags full of filter fiber at the LFS?

They will be labeled. The bags marked '100% polyester' and do not say 'antibacterial' are safe, and cheaper than the stuff at the LFS. If you are more comfortable buying the stuff at the LFS that is good too.

Why take a chance on pillow stuffing that might be antibacterial when you can grab bags full of filter fiber at the LFS?
I don't personallly use this, though I'm most likely going to start. But... why spend more money on the same thing at the LFS just because it's marketed as 'aquarium filter material'? I see this like Pool Filter Sand. Sure, it's designed for pool filters, but it's essentially the same thing as silica sand with the word 'aquarium' put on it that they charge three times as much for in the store.

Back
Top Bottom