Media for AC 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have an AC sponge, 100ml bag of Purigen, and a bag of AC biomax. The Purigen bag doesn't fit perfectly in the 50 basket, but I managed to fit it in after some maneuvering. After using 2 sponges+bag before, I noticed I have room to fit something else in there.

I can't use another sponge, otherwise the bag of biomax would be above the waterline in the filter box. I looked into some polyfil, filter floss, scour pads, pillow stuffing, but wouldn't know about which brand is safe or how to properly place it.

Anyone want to share their experience with it in HOB filters?

In my AC110 (HOB)

I use the sponge, purigen and bio rings. In my other AC110 I use the sponge, poly fill and then bio rings. I love the AC's, no complaints here.

So the setup I have now is fine?

[biomax]
[purigen]
[sponge]

I was just curious because I added it yesterday, and this morning the tank wasn't as clear as I'd hoped it'd be. I read a lot of reviews and posts on sites saying it works overnight so I was thinking I needed more media.

Add a fine floss polishing pad at the end of the filtration, on top of the biomax. Super-fine filter pad or a felt pad would work. Just cut to fit and place over the biomax.

In my AC 70 I use a layer of filter floss and one of the appropriate sized sponges. I love how the floss really clears up the water.

I'm not sure if that one is safe. Filter floss is made out of polyester fiber so it stands to reason that one could be safe.

I had the same trouble trying to fit the sponge, bio-max, purigen and a pad in my ac 30, so here's what I did......
I cut the sponge in half length wise, so it was half as tall is it normally is (instead of 1.5 inches high in the filter, it is now about 3/4 inches high), then added my bio-max, purigen, and a filter pad. It has been working fantastically, no problems to note, and my water is crystal clear between the purigen and filer pad.
I would consider adding a polishing pad, or maybe some filter floss to help clear out the particles flaoting in your water. I personally just use the marineland polishing pads from Petsmart (I think they are made for the magnum canisters, I just cut it to fit and stuffed it in, and still have over half the pad left. a 2 pk at the store is like 6 bucks, and will last for a very long time).

Is there any real benefit to using the carbon, I got a 3 pack for free with my new filter so I've been using but is it worth buying more or is it better to use a second sponge

I had the same trouble trying to fit the sponge, bio-max, purigen and a pad in my ac 30, so here's what I did......
I cut the sponge in half length wise, so it was half as tall is it normally is (instead of 1.5 inches high in the filter, it is now about 3/4 inches high), then added my bio-max, purigen, and a filter pad. It has been working fantastically, no problems to note, and my water is crystal clear between the purigen and filer pad.
I would consider adding a polishing pad, or maybe some filter floss to help clear out the particles flaoting in your water. I personally just use the marineland polishing pads from Petsmart (I think they are made for the magnum canisters, I just cut it to fit and stuffed it in, and still have over half the pad left. a 2 pk at the store is like 6 bucks, and will last for a very long time).

Good tip, I may try that on my next water change that way I'm not tinkering with the tank that often since my fish are still a bit jumpy when I stick my hand in there.

I ended up going with this: Morning Glory High Loft Batting, 45" x 60", 4-pack: Crafts : Walmart.com

It was 4 bucks and came in a 5 foot roll, and after cutting a piece to fit my AC 50 I'm pretty sure this will last me years.

Is there any real benefit to using the carbon, I got a 3 pack for free with my new filter so I've been using but is it worth buying more or is it better to use a second sponge

After all the research I've done on numerous sites it seems that the consensus is only to use carbon to remove medications, or if your water is extremely high in metal elements. I just chucked mine although I should've saved it just in case I need it.

Right now the basket looks like this:

[ac biomax]
[purigen]
[poly batting]
[ac sponge]

Everything fits just enough so I don't have overflow issues so I'll give it overnight or a full day and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom