media transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sith j

Aquarium Advice Activist
i a cycled 10 gal with a penguin 150 bio-wheel, i recently set up a 75gal tank wanted to know if i could get away with floating my bio-wheel in the 75 for a week to help seed. do you think i have enough bacteria in my gravel to support 8inches of fish.

sith j...you may want to peek at my bateria transfer thread on this same page.

Very similar situation so it may help.

all my fish in my 10 gal are staying in the tank, cant transfer the whole filter just wanted to help the seeding on my 75gal. just wanted to know if i could go without my bio-wheel in the 10 gal for a week, im not going to put any fish in the 75 unitl it is fully cycled. it has 4ppm of ammonia and the temp is at 82 deg. the 75 has been running at these perameters for three days. i have ceramic cylinders and lava rock in my xp3 that are new. just trying to seed it as much as possible

I decided to leave the bio wheel on my 29 and move two filter cartridges from that same hob and put them in the xp3 filter basket.
6 days later I'm golden.

Why is the ammonia at 4 in the new tank?dosing,shrimp or populated?

rats. I went from a 29 to a 55 with absolutely no problems about three weeks ago. I used the same gravel and filter. Not one ammonia or nitrite spike.

i am adding ammonia that i got at ace hardware, its a 10% solution. i am not getting rid of the 10 gal, will be running it as well as my 75. if i could transfer all the gravel and filter i would. i did take several scoops of gravel and put it in a cut of piece of panty hose and placed it in my 75 as well as a bag of ceramic cylinders that i had in the back of my hob filter on my 10gal. i also put the three fake plants from my 10 gal in my 75 and put a few new plants in my 10. i believe this is all the seeding i can do. i just wanted some opinions on if i could float the biowheel from my hob in the 75 for a few days and not have a mini cycle in my 10. i know i should just be more patient. just wanted to make sure i was doing everything i could to speed up the process.

thanks in advace

Back
Top Bottom