Medusa Head Pleco - more info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These guys are awesome!!!

my tank is cycling right now and I have been thinking about what to put in it in when it's done.

I really like the way these guys look, but I havent found a whole lot of information about them... does anyone have experience? do they fight other fish? will one be enough to control algae in my 37gal tall tank? will it eat my plants? does it only eat off the bottom, or will it clean the glass and plants too? If one of these guys isnt enough, could I get a small school of oto's or corys, or would he destroy them?

I'm thinking about mainly doing small/dwarf cichlids in the tank...

if its like most other plecos, dont count on him to eat too much algae, chances are he'll eat cut up cucumbers and algae waffers though, as well as left over flake food.

he wont hurt other fish, but sometime adult common plecos will fight.

i dunno if this is a dwarf pleco. but commons get 18"+ 37 may not be enough

from what I have read they grow from 6-8", as for plecos in general, would they pick on other bottomfeeders, like corys or otos?

there is a spotted and un-spotted species, heres a picture of one of the spotted ones.

Attachments

• 1_269.jpg
    1_269.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 302
I can't say anything about otos (I've never had them), but the corys should be fine with the pleco. Really, plecos generally seem to just ignore everyone else--in my experience. You do, however, hear of people having problems with them and goldfish especially (or other plecos). It's a very cool looking pleco! Enjoy him.

If that pic bothered you, take a look at this one...

Attachments

• 9_388.jpg
    9_388.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 42
That one is really cool, I like it even better than my BN.

AS for oto's and BN type pleco. Mine ride the back of the female I have in a tank with 4 otos. Do not put more than 1 female and 1 male together in my experience. They will fight, buttally!. Mine did for 2 minutes and I didn't let it go any further. I could have been because the female in the one tank was in there for a wehile and had her dominance with the sole male but it was really mideval battling.

Back
Top Bottom